La Marzocco Linea Mini boiler noise every 1.30 minutes

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
julienlaplagne

#1: Post by julienlaplagne »

Hello,

I have bought a second hand linea mini and since I'm not use to this machine I was wondering if it was normal to have a strong boiler noise every 1.30 minutes or so, depending on how I set up the pressurestat, the noise is active for just 5 second but quite strong. The machine is piped in and its a european model. I have change the vacuum valve on the main boiler and there is no sign of leaking any where.

Thanks for the advice

Julien

dsblv

#2: Post by dsblv »

Did you happen to look at the boiler pressure gauge when you hear the noise? This sounds the boiler cycling when the heater element turns on. Mine cycles at about that frequency and you can hear it from a few feet away. But, I never notice it since it's not that noisy. I did lower my boiler pressure so it stays below 1.8 bar. That may quiet the boiler a bit.

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

scale can increase the noise too, our electric kettle gets loud when it's time for a descale (I feed the Urania a special water recipe)
LMWDP #483

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I agree with Marcelnl. The prior owner may not have descaled it. The water in some areas of France is very hard and would need treatment if you don't want to descale frequently.
Dan Kehn

julienlaplagne (original poster)

#5: Post by julienlaplagne (original poster) »

Thanks very much for the advice I will descale asap

julien

ben8jam

#6: Post by ben8jam replying to julienlaplagne »

Careful descaling! Read you should NOT use standard descaler as it can cause a much bigger problem with pieces getting lodged in the very small piping. Be sure to check how to descale the Linea first.

richelieu21

#7: Post by richelieu21 »

julienlaplagne wrote:Thanks very much for the advice I will descale asap

julien
Do not do this without contacting La Marzocco first. It doesn't matter if you didn't buy it from them. They will advise you.

Advertisement
isabelo

#8: Post by isabelo »

julienlaplagne wrote:Hello,

I have bought a second hand linea mini and since I'm not use to this machine I was wondering if it was normal to have a strong boiler noise every 1.30 minutes or so, depending on how I set up the pressurestat, the noise is active for just 5 second but quite strong. The machine is piped in and its a european model. I have change the vacuum valve on the main boiler and there is no sign of leaking any where.

Thanks for the advice

Julien
Hi Julien, Did you contact La Marzocco about your machine's boiler noise? I am wondering if that boiler noise at certain frequency is normal. I just had my machine's first year annual (preventative) maintenance recently where the vacuum breaker valve was replaced. I also went ahead and opted to have the safety valve replaced which was not necessary since LM advises to replace this part every two years (not one).

While observing the brew pressure gauge, when the gauge's needle drops to somewhere less than 9 bar -> the needle stops for a few seconds then starts going back up and when it hits 9 bar the boiler sound happens until the needle reaches about 10.5 - 11 bar and stops -> then the cycle starts again and this cycle happens every 3.5 to 4 mins.

This boiler sound and frequency may all be normal and could have been happening before, but I just took notice of it more this time especially just after the recent first annual maintenance. Perhaps I am just too paranoid about it. -Thanks