La Marzocco Linea makes horrible rattling noise

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
billy Barista

#1: Post by billy Barista »

I am currently researching ways as to prolong the life span of my LM. On top of that it sometimes makes a very horrible rattling noise. The technician says because there is only one water pump being use for the whole cafe causing to have not enough water flowing into machine. Is this a problem? The technician says I need a separate water pump JUST FOR THE LM.

What can I do without having to add another water pump?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

A FloJet, accumulator tank and a real big bottle of water.

Just to clarify, you do have a pump for the LM, you are referring to the water line that feeds the machine right? If it is a two group, then a 3/8 inch line will suffice provided you have adequate water pressure on the other side of the water line regulator that is dedicated to the LM. If it is a 3-4 group, go half inch, but a 3/8 would probably still work unless you were filling the steam boiler and running all 4 groups at the same time. Too small a water line and you starve the LM's pump for water and it cavities, not good.
Dave Stephens

billy Barista (original poster)

#3: Post by billy Barista (original poster) »

the technician says because the whole store is sharing just one water system ie taps, there is isnt enough water supply for the machine. Hence, the rattling noise comes from drawing too much water, when water level from the water tank is already low. But I wonder does all cafes have one single water system/supply just for the machine?

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

If that's so, why not add an accumulator tank? If the flow rate issues are intermittent, the accumulator will smooth them out. The accumulator below is small because it's for a Flojet, but RO water systems have larger ones.

Image courtesy of espressoparts.com
Dan Kehn

luca
Team HB

#5: Post by luca »

Good call, Dan.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes