La Marzocco GS3 Pump Issue - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
owlbass (original poster)

#11: Post by owlbass (original poster) »

Peppersass wrote:Re-reading your post, I should add that Jake advised you to clean the check valve at the pump and mixing valve because of the Boiler Refill Timeout. Those two check valves are in the refill path for the steam boiler, the refill of which is timing out, and they're also in the brew water path. So the check valve at the flow meter can't be the sole cause of the problem because it's only in the brew path. But if the other two check valves are scaled, it may be as well. In that case the boiler refill problem would go away but the zero pressure during brew problem would not.

Similarly, given that the problem affects both the steam and brew boiler paths, it's very unlikely the autofill solenoid or 3-way solenoid are the problem unless perhaps both are clogged with scale.
So apparently that didn't fix the issue. The machine still gives a boiler time out alert when turning on and after it's been idle it will only give a trickle of water. Pressing the brew button a couple of times usually makes it kick back on. I had a similar issue about six months ago when the pump was going bad. That being said it would never let a trickle of water out. It either went to full pressure or didn't work at all. Going to open it back up tomorrow. Any other suggestions to look at? I guess multiple check valves could all being going bad at once?

Thanks

Jake_G
Team HB

#12: Post by Jake_G »

It is possible you have multiple check valves failing at once.

It is also possible that you have something building up and covering the inlet to the tube that goes from the tea water mixing valve to the flowmeter and boiler fill solenoid.

First things first, though. Next time this happens, see if you get tempered water from your tea water wand. If it is hot and fiery superheated water, I'd say the pump still isn't getting fresh water to the tea water mixing valve, meaning you've still got something blocking the flow to or from the pump.

You're certain the pump is actually running when the problem occurs, right?

Cheers!

- Jake

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore

#13: Post by owlbass (original poster) » replying to Jake_G »

Thanks again Jake!

I will pay attention when this happens next. The machine came on fine today but I haven't made an espresso yet. I'm not positive the pump is coming on. I'll try and listen for it next time. The machine is significantly quieter when it gets just the trickle of water through the group. I guess the pump could be a dude. It's only 6 months old. I'll take it off, when the machine is open, and see if there is any resistance in it.

The previous owner only ever used bottled water and I've never seen any mineral build up when replacing parts. But it could be there.

Jake_G
Team HB

#14: Post by Jake_G »

If the pump isn't running, there is a chance the pump relay or one of the pump motor capacitors is the culprit.

Cheers!

- Jake

#15: Post by owlbass (original poster) » replying to Jake_G »

I'll look into that as well. I did change the start capacitor right before I changed the pump. Not sure if that is the same as the pump motor capacitor. But I think so.

Thanks!

Jake_G
Team HB

#16: Post by Jake_G »

I think there are two caps in there?

#17: Post by owlbass (original poster) » replying to Jake_G »

On the GS3 parts break down I can only find one. It's also not small so not sure where the other one could be. Maybe it's a different smaller part?

Thanks,

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Jake_G
Team HB

#18: Post by Jake_G »

Nah, you're right. Two SSRs, one cap.