La Marzocco GS3 makes weird sound like always heating

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
gs3_beginner

#1: Post by gs3_beginner »

Hi there!

I have seen this thread La Marzocco GS3 constantly heating and I am not really sure if my GS3 has the same problem. I have uploaded a video of my GS3 in which you can hear and "see" the noise (I can hear it very well on my phone, I hope the quality is good enough) you can find it here:

Does someone here know why my GS3 sounds this way?
Is there a piece I can replace or check?

Best regards
D, gs3_beginner

slipchuck

#2: Post by slipchuck »

Sorry can't hear anything

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Advertisement
nahau

#3: Post by nahau »

Video is silent.

gs3_beginner (original poster)

#4: Post by gs3_beginner (original poster) »

Hi!

Yes, the Video is not the best at all. I have tried to record just the sound without Video. This should be better:
The video it self is just black.

It looks like the youtube upload removes a lot of the audio quality :-(

mariowar

#5: Post by mariowar »

How old is the machine?

Mine started to sound like this after about 6 years. A brand new steam boiler element fixed the issue.

#6: Post by gs3_beginner (original poster) replying to mariowar »

Around 4.5 - 5 Years

So you replaced the boiler like the one in the image? Did you do it by your self? Is there a way of testing, if its really the boiler?

mike01

#7: Post by mike01 »

The steam boiler heating element is this part.

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

It's difficult to be sure from the video, but it sounds like a steam boiler leak from the vacuum breaker is not closing completely. If you remove the side covers and use a rolled up paper tube as a stethoscope, you should be able to pinpoint the source. Of course, the site's terms of service applies:
Home-Barista.com - Agreement - Part II wrote:The Home-Barista.com forums are provided for informational purposes only. Espresso equipment contains controls and conduits for electricity, very hot water, steam and high water pressure. Attempting repairs, modifications, alterations, or diagnoses of such equipment yourself could result in serious injury or death to yourself and to others and the destruction of property by fire and other causes. We accept no responsibility for any injuries or losses resulting from any attempt to perform equipment repairs, modifications, alterations, or diagnoses based on information from Home-Barista.com.
Dan Kehn

nahau

#9: Post by nahau »

You guys have good ears! All I hear is what sounds like a car going through gears! :shock:

#10: Post by gs3_beginner (original poster) »

HB wrote:It's difficult to be sure from the video, but it sounds like a steam boiler leak from the vacuum breaker is not closing completely. If you remove the side covers and use a rolled up paper tube as a stethoscope, you should be able to pinpoint the source.
OK, I will give a try next week and keep you updated. Thanks!