La Cimbali Junior S/1 circa 2000 restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
espress_o

#1: Post by espress_o »

Hi HB'ers,

I got my hands on 2 Cimbali S/1's made in 2000.

Here is what I was told when I bought them:

-They both came off of a yacht 10 years ago
-Both have been sitting in storage since
-Both were pulled because they were being replaced with a more commercial automatic machine

What I could see on the outside; on both machines the water and steam knobs had cracks, one of the S/1's had a cracked foot and was a bit bent from the bottom base; I imagine since they were on a boat, they may have taken a fall or been banged around. They both used an Italian/European 220v plug.

I apologize for not taking pictures of the machines as I got them, I didn't think to post about the restoration until the panels were off and most of the plumbing was dismantled.

I've worked on one machine so far, the other is starting to take its citric acid bath. I ordered all new gaskets, o-rings, springs, etc for both machines from cafeparts. I ordered a stock foot for the badly cracked foot on the first machine, also from cafeparts, I have yet to order the steam & water knobs, but will order them soon.

The first machine was stripped to the frame and brought to a sandblaster & powder coating shop. The panels were taken to a metal fabricator who sanded/polished the brushed SS.

I feel like I may have overpaid a bit on both of those services. For the 2nd machine, I found another sandblast / powder coating shop who quoted me about $40 less than what I paid the first shop (although I am happy with the outcome). I may try my hand at polishing up the panels on the second machine and save a few bucks there too.

Here is the breakdown of the costs so far (not including the cost of the machines):

Cafeparts - all parts for both machines - $170
1 machine Sandblaster & Powder Coat - $130
1 machines panels - Metal Fabricator - $125

Total = $425

If I bring the other machine to the same sandblaster & powder coating shop it'll add another $130.

This is the second machine, the first machine had the same amount of scale as the second.

Here are the first machines boiler, copper pipes & fittings, all cleaned up after a handful of days in a citric acid bath

Panels to both machines

Cleaned up the group head bell bolts as well as other screws and bolts with a wire wheel drill attachment

Cimbali frame

After sandblast & powder coat

With some plumbing mocked up

Electrical put back in and ready for stress test

I had to buy a step up transformer to run the machine since I don't have 220v power in my shop. I switched out the male plug and the machine powered on.

I pressed the boiler fill button, heard a buzz/vibration noise, realized nothing was happening, so I quickly cut the power to not burn out the element, which was definitely heating up.

The only thing I didn't take apart fully and clean was the ulka pump. So I took it out to take a peek.

Looked pretty rough, cleaned up all the components, and found major pitting on the metal piston(?) .. So looks like a new EX5 230v ulka pump needs to be ordered.

I'm planning on insulating the boiler, I found a sheet of K flex insul sheet that will need to be cut and fitted, that should arrive in the next few days or so.

Forgot to snag a photo of the panels after I picked them up from the metal polishers shop. I'll post that picture next time I have an update.

Cheers!

espress_o (original poster)

#2: Post by espress_o (original poster) »

Little update:

New Ulka pump came in yesterday. I hooked it up, hit the boiler fill button and it started to fill. Great.

On to the next issues...

After about 5 minutes of the machine being on with water in the boiler, the anti depression valve starts to hiss and bubble. Then, the hot water tap and steam wand start to release water while the valves are shut. Last, there doesn't seem to be any pressure coming out of the group and the pressure gauge doesn't show a reading.

Multiple issues happening here?

a. anti depression valve - Old gasket causing the issue? had a hard time sourcing that part on cafeparts.com .. I think I found it on coffeeparts.com.au
b. water tap & steam wand - I replaced the gaskets and the springs looked fine, what else could cause this issue?
c. group pressure - solenoid issue?

I've taken a 40 second video to show what is happening.

Update: Everything was actually working fine. I didn't realize the water and steam taps were open :oops: which led to a lack of pressure. :idea:

I had a couple of small leaks, one from a fitting connected to the boiler and another fitting from the ulka pump. PTFE tape fixed that up.

-Andrew

#3: Post by espress_o (original poster) »

After I fixed a couple of small leaks with PTFE tape, I tested the machine. Everything was working as it should.

I insulated the boiler with KFlex insul sheet. I've got plenty left, double almost since the sheet is 3/4 inch thick which I split into 3/8 inch. A 2 for 1 deal. I've got two other projects lined up, another cimabli s1 & an old conti 2 group lever which will both get that insulation.

Finally got to see what the polisher did, not bad at all.

Here it is with all the panels on.

Can't wait to pull some shots tomorrow.

-Andrew

#4: Post by espress_o (original poster) »

First shot pulled!

Dkpack99

#5: Post by Dkpack99 »

Wow! Incredible job! Congrats!