KitchenAid 5KES100 steam boiler/wand mod

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Thom2022

#1: Post by Thom2022 »

Hey guys, new to the forum.
I have a KitchenAid 5KES100 (actually I have 4) that I've been modifying in similar manner to a couple I have seen in here when researching.
So this is a 2 part question

Part 1:
One issue I have is very wet steam. It's currently running the Silvia V3 wand with burnless conversion and 155 degree thermostat.

It's definitely getting up to full temperature but needs a good 20 second purge otherwise there's ALOT of water in the steam.
Has anyone experienced this and what was your remedy?

Part 2:
I have replaced the steam boiler seal with a 4.5mm thick 70 hardness silicone gasket. All other gaskets are also 70 hardness silicone. I'm contemplating using the 165 degree resettable thermostat out of the Silvia in an attempt to reduce the amount of water in the steam. By my calculations water vapour at 165 degrees C should be around 6 bar of pressure. Has anyone tried this before and did you experience any issues?
The boiler should handle the pressure given they come standard set to 14 bar in the espresso boiler.
I'm hoping this mod will help reduce the wetness of the steam.

Any suggestions and advice very welcome.

Thanks

Thom

Smo

#2: Post by Smo »

14 bar is not the boiler pressure. This is the pressure that the pump can theoretically develop when preparing an espresso.
I would not advise making a boiler explosion!