Kalita Wave Mesh Screen - a non DIY option?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
dsc106

#1: Post by dsc106 »

I see it is very popular to add a tea mesh strainer to the bottom of the Kalita Wave to stop choking. I tried cutting a tea mesh strainer myself, but the results are janky, with rough edges around the circle. In addition, it makes me nervous (maybe I've simply read too much about metal bristle problems in BBQing), but cutting the filter showed me the potential for these small little wire pieces on the ends to come loose. The idea of drinking one in a brew isn't fun.

So, I may be overthinking it. In any case, the mesh strainer is ugly. Got me wondering if there is another machined option for this. I looked at aeropress metal filters and the Flair 58mm filter, but they seem too big. But maybe there are some smaller machined mesh filters intended for another use that fit the bottom of the Kalita? (There are so many circular mesh filters out there I have to imagine there is something I could buy, I just don't know where/what. For example, my handheld food cold smoking gun comes with small circular mesh filters, but those are two small.)

Any ideas?

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

I use this (link) for my Kalita 155, and it's a perfect fit. The screen reportedly fits in the 185 dripper as well.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

The size of the bottom of the 155 and 185 filter are the same so it should fit.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dsc106 (original poster)

#4: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Awesome! Thanks a lot. I just ordered one.

For anyone looking in the future - I have both the Kalita 155 & 185, and can confirm the bottom is the same size. So this will work for both then :D

TigerStripes

#5: Post by TigerStripes »

There are two issues with the stainless kalita.

1. filter clogging holes at bottom (solved with mesh/chicken wire/dispersion screen)

2. holes are small and drain time is longer ~55 sec for 500ml (solved by drilling out the 3 holes with 1/8" drill bit = 33 sec for 500ml)

Once I did both of those, I started grinding finer and enjoying the brews out of the stainless kalita a whole lot more. hope that helps :D
LMWDP #715

dsc106 (original poster)

#6: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

TigerStripes wrote: 2. holes are small and drain time is longer ~55 sec for 500ml (solved by drilling out the 3 holes with 1/8" drill bit = 33 sec for 500ml)

Once I did both of those, I started grinding finer and enjoying the brews out of the stainless kalita a whole lot more.
Wellll shoot, you just sent me down the rabbit hole lol. So apparently there were two versions of the SS Kalita, and the old one had better bottom ribs and larger drain holes. Hmm. And I saw some mentioning outside of this article as well about the Ceramic Kalita not having these issues and producing a better cup:

https://coffeechronicler.com/kalita-wav ... nt-review/

Anyone else compared? I now have the Kalita 155, 185, and this dispersion screen on the way, so I'm invested in the platform - hah. Is it potentially worth it to pick up the Ceramic version? Or will the dispersion screen likely do the same thing?

I brew 20g doses which didn't work out as well in the 155, well at least the SS version.

Bean Counter

#7: Post by Bean Counter »

Anyone had experience with the copper version? Similar problems?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Bellbon

#8: Post by Bellbon »

I do not have the stainless version to compare, but I will post some images later of my copper 155 with a ruler so you all can compare.

I'm planning on getting a ceramic 185 soon for brewing for 2 people at once.

Bellbon

#9: Post by Bellbon »

Thumbtack and sharpie for reference. It is really a beautiful item. No ridges in base like the regular stainless steel version, base is just a slightly sloped surface with the center of the base being marginally higher than the perimeter.