Izzo Alex PID MKII boiler safety valve, replace with lower pressure?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Enz0man

#1: Post by Enz0man »

Hey all, I recently picked up an Izzo Alex PID from 2010 (which is a mkii I believe) for cheap which needs some work. Nothing super major but it needs all the seals in the group replaced and a couple things internally, one of which is the boiler safety release valve. Upon looking at the valve itself, it is a Nuova unit rated at 2.5 bar of pressure. The trouble is any replacements that I can find are all rated for less pressure than that, anywhere from 1.6 - 2 bar.

I am not sure if this is the original valve that the machine came with, but is it advisable to replace the valve with a lower pressure one? I know going to a higher pressure one wouldn't be good, but I can't imagine a 2 bar release valve would cause any issues over a 2.5 bar one since the boiler probably shouldn't be hitting 2 bar anyways.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

nahau

#2: Post by nahau »

Enz0man wrote:I am not sure if this is the original valve that the machine came with
Take some good photos and post them. Perhaps some others with the same machine can chime in and let you know.

Advertisement
Enz0man (original poster)

#3: Post by Enz0man (original poster) »

Went to take a picture and noticed the date of 2011 on it, so assuming that's the manufactured year it isn't the original.

Also noticed it's a 1/4 valve and most modern ones are 3/8. Guess i'll have to find a 1/4 one or an adapter to 3/8.

nahau

#4: Post by nahau »

Might be original, don't know. Might be like automobiles... 2011's are released in late 2010. Could be your machine is a 2011!

The size of the valve is normally dictated by the boiler fitting it screws into. If the fitting is 1/4", then you should install a 1/4" valve. I'm sure if you search Google you'll be able to find the correct valve for your machine. 1st Line, Cafeparts, Espressoparts, etc.

AndyH

#5: Post by AndyH »

Check with chriscoffee.com. They have a wide variety of Izzo specific parts, and I've bought several replacement parts from them for my 2007 Izzo Alex HX mk II (which I also bought from Chris Coffee). Try emailing their technical support. Good luck!

Enz0man (original poster)

#6: Post by Enz0man (original poster) »

Thanks for all the advice, I just sent an email to chris coffee to get some info. I did notice on his site that one of the boiler safety valves he has listed looks quite similar to mine in the picture, but it's possible it's a generic picture. I guess we will see what he says.

I did a bunch of googling before but couldn't find a valve with these exact specs and didn't want to replace it with a 'different' one without consulting somebody first. Thanks for the advice everyone, i'll update here if I get any more information or need further help.