Izzo Alex Leva no power

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
def

#1: Post by def »

Something power related failed on my Leva this morning after turning it on. It was still warm, but no power to the switch light or PID, so it looks like if failed shortly after I turned it on.

I have not disassembled and diagnosed yet. Any ideas on what I should inspect or suspect is the problem?

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

First check the outlet with another appliance. Since the Leva doesn't have an internal fuse, check the outlet.

Then, check continuity through the main power switch, unplugged with an ohm-meter to be safe.

If the switch is good, but the PID is blank,I'd jump to the conclusion that the PID's transformer has failed. You could check if it is live on the primary and reasonably close to it's intended output on the secondary. Don't test a live machine if you're not absolutely sure what you're doing.

def (original poster)

#3: Post by def (original poster) »

Thanks. Looks like a faulty switch.

def (original poster)

#4: Post by def (original poster) »

Hopefully just the switch is bad. When I pushed hard on the switch, the machine did turn on, but it goes off as soon as I take pressure off the switch. Picture below shows a connector which got hot.

belegnole

#5: Post by belegnole »

Dang, that looks toasty. Any indication of what caused it to happen?
LMWDP #641

def (original poster)

#6: Post by def (original poster) replying to belegnole »

No clue yet. I will replace the switch to determine whether that fixes it.

silkypull

#7: Post by silkypull »

JRising wrote:First check the outlet with another appliance. Since the Leva doesn't have an internal fuse, check the outlet.

Then, check continuity through the main power switch, unplugged with an ohm-meter to be safe.

If the switch is good, but the PID is blank,I'd jump to the conclusion that the PID's transformer has failed. You could check if it is live on the primary and reasonably close to it's intended output on the secondary. Don't test a live machine if you're not absolutely sure what you're doing.
wow.. no internal fuse? any DIY to add an internal fuse to prevent other burnouts?
def wrote:Hopefully just the switch is bad. When I pushed hard on the switch, the machine did turn on, but it goes off as soon as I take pressure off the switch. Picture below shows a connector which got hot.

hopefully this is the only cause for your leva. if so that should be easily replaced. where would you go get that part?
LMWDP #663

def (original poster)

#8: Post by def (original poster) »

I found the exact illuminated switch for a Simonelli machine at voltage coffee supply. It should arrive on Monday.

nahau

#9: Post by nahau »

If there is no damage to the wires, then the "hot" spot was probably just due to corrosion on the contacts inside/outside of the switch. Heat builds up and it's enough to fry those covers. If you change the switch, consider changing the female spade connectors on the wire side also. At the very least, clean and shine the female connectors so they make really good contact with the switch terminals or you may end up with the same problem down the road.

silkypull

#10: Post by silkypull »

def wrote:I found the exact illuminated switch for a Simonelli machine at voltage coffee supply. It should arrive on Monday.
is this the one you got?
https://www.voltagerestaurantsupply.com ... e-04200011
LMWDP #663