Izzo Alex Leva no longer heats

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
rosenbma

#1: Post by rosenbma »

Hey

Hoping I can get some help. I have an Alex Leva. I used to turn it on every AM. About a year ago it started to take a really long time to heat up so I began to leave it on all the time. Then gradually began to lose temperature (and pressure) after making 2-3 milk drinks and now won't heat up enough to pull a shot or steam milk. Won't go above about 170 on PID. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Michael

def

#2: Post by def »

Scale or problem with the heating element?

rosenbma (original poster)

#3: Post by rosenbma (original poster) »

Doubt scale as water here very soft to start with and then I have a water softener as well. Should I have posted this under technical issues? If I repost there prob get in trouble!

Bluecold

#4: Post by Bluecold »

Can you retune the pid? Can you measure the resistance over the element(s)
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

rosenbma wrote:Doubt scale as water here very soft to start with and then I have a water softener as well. Should I have posted this under technical issues? If I repost there prob get in trouble!
No trouble. I'll transfer the whole thread to Repairs, Restorations and Mods if that's what you'd like to do. The thread should reside in one place. Just PM me.

BTW I echo some of the above suggestions of measuring the entire circuit and components connected to it for resistance (when unplugged) using a multimeter. I also believe you should inspect it for scale. Check the wiring and connections. Photos always help, as many as are relevant.

Posting images on HB
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

rosenbma (original poster)

#6: Post by rosenbma (original poster) »

Thanks for the help. Sure can transfer over thanks.

Any prior threads on checking resistance for a layman?

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary replying to rosenbma »

Done.

Michael, you'll find this information by using the Search function at the top banner. There's also lots of tutorial info on YouTube.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Nick111

#8: Post by Nick111 »

rosenbma wrote:Thanks for the help. Sure can transfer over thanks.

Any prior threads on checking resistance for a layman?
https://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Heating-Element

eastpresso

#9: Post by eastpresso »

Did you find a solution? The fact that it is still heating but only up to a certain temperature sounds like an issue with the temp probe and/or PID rather than the element. If you do a search you will also find some threads of Pro 800 users where the SSR failed over time.