Izzo Alex Leva - Heating element stays on until safety release valve pops

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Tbrandt1996

#1: Post by Tbrandt1996 »

My heating element sticks on and pops the safety release valve. It only happens after turning on first thing each morning and warming the machine up from cold. The display shows that it is NOT commanding the element to stay on, but it continues heating beyond the set point until the safety valve release. The only way to get it to reset is turn the machine off and back on again, then it operates as normal.

Sounds like a bad SSR?

Machine is an Izzo Alex Leva with a Gicar PID. Heating element is not controlled by a pressure stat.

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by pizzaman383 »

Tbrandt1996 wrote: Sounds like a bad SSR?
Very likely to be the SSR. Is there a separate SSR or is it internal to tih gicar box?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Tbrandt1996 (original poster)

#3: Post by Tbrandt1996 (original poster) » replying to pizzaman383 »

Separate SSR. I'll do some investigating with my multimeter to see if the input signal is off while it is drawing a load. Should rule out glitches in the controller if that is the case.

JRising

#4: Post by JRising »

If the machine isn't on a GFCI outlet or breaker, it could also be a cracked heating element.

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by pizzaman383 »

Tbrandt1996 wrote:Separate SSR. I'll do some investigating with my multimeter to see if the input signal is off while it is drawing a load. Should rule out glitches in the controller if that is the case.
I use an led in parallel with the heating element to check SSRs.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Tbrandt1996 (original poster)

#6: Post by Tbrandt1996 (original poster) »

Bad relay. Replaced and everything is back in order.