Izzo Alex Leva Cup Steamer Valve Leak

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
chappcc

#1: Post by chappcc »

Has any Alex Leva owner encountered a leaking valve that is used to steam the cup warmer? Right now I have a very slow constant leak through the cup steamer valve. I've tried to use steam to clear anything from the valve but the valve leak does not change. It looks like this is a ball valve. I am wondering if it is misaligned so that the valve does not fully close. I am looking for suggestions to solve the leak - Thanks

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Do you have an exploded diagram of the machine that might put you on the right path?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
chappcc (original poster)

#3: Post by chappcc (original poster) » replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

I found a set of diagrams on Chris' Coffee. Looks like I'll need to remove panels and start exploring.

Nick111
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nick111 »

You are not alone,
I have had this problem for some time. Because of the valve leak you mention,
water is pooling under the cup tray. The machine is on a timer and switches off at 18:00 hours. In the morning
the water is gone. I assume some of it drains and some evaporates. Most of the days there is a small
quantity of water (shape and size of a quarter dollar) that dripped overnight from the steam switch at
the bottom right side of the machine. Unfortunately I have not made the time to address the issue.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

Must be a seal in the valve?? Is there a fitting you can tighten/adjust to apply more pressure to the seal like on a normal steam valve?
LMWDP 267

#6: Post by chappcc (original poster) » replying to JohnB. »

I've looked at the stem and can't readily see how to tighten to valve seal(s). From looking at schematics for ball valves in general, it looks like the inlet and outlet ports each have a seal.

I've decided to put a 1/8" BSPT plug in the port on the boiler for the steam supply to the cup warmer valve. I rarely use the tray steamer since the valve is inconveniently located behind the drip tray which must be removed to access the valve handle.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

Post a photo of the valve.
LMWDP 267

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops

#8: Post by chappcc (original poster) » replying to JohnB. »

Here is a clip from the exploded view (the valve is FE1409):

In and out ports are 1/8 F BSPT

I can upload a photo of the actual valve after I get it removed from the machine.

#9: Post by chappcc (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:Post a photo of the valve.
Here are a couple of photos of the valve:

It looks like the valve stem assembly has been pressed in and is not serviceable.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

You'd have to remove it & look in from the other end. If it's like the shut off/drain valves used on boilers there's a ball inside sitting in a teflon cup. These are held in place by a threaded fitting that can be removed or tightened using an allen wrench.
LMWDP 267