Izzo Alex Duetto II upgrade to ECM Synchronika PID with shot timer

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Jaap-98

#1: Post by Jaap-98 »

This was a slight struggle as can be seen in some other posts.

I received help from a few people on this forum (thank you!) as well as Gianni at http://www.elektros.it/ where I bought the ECM PID and I received help from Izzo themselves. (I could have ordered all the necessary items from them directly if the total cost was over eur 100 but as I already had the pid, it was far less. They did help me with the wiring instructions to enable the shot timer function.
(I actually ordered the other items from Maxicoffee in France.)

Items required:
1x EL273 TERMOPID 100K DISPLAY DUETTO: €65,00
(I used the ECM one as it is essentially the same GICAR unit but has a different bezel which I prefer)

1x EL234 OPTO ELECTRONIC CARD (GICAR): €12,00
1x 07605 CABLE 150MM TERMOPID/OPTO: €10,50
1x 07671 ELECTRICAL CABLE FOR SHOT TIMER UPDATE: €2,20

The small opto box connects to the 7 pic plug in the PID and to the brew switch and the control box on the other.

I did test if it would work with the old PID (V1.02) - it does NOT.
The instructions for the wiring of the OPTO:

Although fiddly if you are not removing boilers, it is perfectly doable.

My next issue was programming the new PID. This is crucial, I am unsure why but at my first attempt the electrics blew as the boiler overheated. I suspect I reset the PID by accident (easily done by switching the machine on and only holding down the right button on the PID instead of holding BOTH down to get into programming mode.

Finally I found the original instructions and used these instead of the various I found on the web.
In my case I followed the instructions for the European version and these are DIFFERENT form the US (not just the F.02 settings but also the actual P.I. and D settings.
Please see a photo of the originals that came with my machine below:

Finally I was very confused by a variation in the electrical diagram of the ECM and the DUetto:
On the Duetto the 4 wires from the PID to the relays were wired on sockets 2.3.4.5 instead of the logical 1234 corresponding to the channels 1 and 2 (coffee and steam respectively). (see photo attached.)

I think I know why, the Gicar PID has a plastic foot for the housing which partially obscures the screw for socket one.
I assume that the Minus is common across M1,2 and 3 so therefor, in effect M1 and 2 are used just like the ECM.
I have wired the same way as they were wired before (2.3.4.5) with no issues.
IMPORTANT!: If you do move them along, make sure you don't just "shift them along but only move the MINUS on pin 5 to pin 1 (looking from left to right)

here you see how PIN one is partially covered by the silver plastic standoff which takes the screw f the rear housing)
If you were to use only M1 and M2 then (I believe!) you only need to move the top pin (on photo above) to the lowest and leave the others in place.
Below you can see the original wiring for the Duetto II which also shows the odd PID wiring.
As I believe the MINUS is common, it does not matter whether that is on socket 5 or 1 (see line to "aqua Vapore".

Now all working and weekend not entirely ruined. Back in business! :

Good luck and thanks to all involved!

Rokypop

#2: Post by Rokypop »

This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing everything you figured out.