Izzo Alex Duetto II - Gicar PID Controller Button Issue

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
benspresso

Postby benspresso » Aug 18, 2017, 12:40 am

Hi all-

I have an Alex Duetto II I've been using successfully for almost a year now. Only have had to replace a leaky pressure relief valve, but nothing else until now.

This morning, I attempted to adjust the temperature of the main boiler using the PID controller. However, when I pressed both left and right buttons at once (to enter adjustment mode), I was unable to enter the adjustment screen.

Upon further research, I found a way to "reset", as well as enter "diagnostic mode" on the PID controller, which required holding both buttons at once while powering on. I kept getting the screen that you're supposed to get when only the RIGHT button is held down. This leads me to believe I somehow lost function of the left button.

This happened out of nowhere. Does anyone know what I can do? I'm currently unable to adjust temperatures on my machine. I'm considering just taking apart the controller and rebuilding it, but wanted to seek advice here before taking any further action.

Image of the controller, for reference (possible left button not responding):

chipman

Postby chipman » Aug 18, 2017, 1:46 am

If I were you I would call CCS before doing anything on my own when I obviously don't know what's wrong.

ASRBriggs

Postby ASRBriggs » Sep 14, 2017, 4:28 am

Did you get a resolution to your issue Ben? My Alex Duetto II does exactly the same thing.

BaristaBoy E61

Postby BaristaBoy E61 » Sep 14, 2017, 11:14 am

+1 for calling Chris' service dept.

What's that cap on the Mushroom?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

dmw010

Postby dmw010 » Sep 14, 2017, 11:24 am

My original blue display failed less than two years after I bought my Duetto II new. I never had a problem with the buttons, but individual segments of the display began going dark, eventually making it unreadable. I purchased a replacement red display from CCS. About a year later the same thing started happening. CCS warrantied it, but had no idea what was causing the problem. So far so good on the third display.

Igneous

Postby Igneous » Sep 14, 2017, 4:12 pm

I'm having the same issue as OP with my PID. Did you ever figure out how to fix it or did you replace the PID?

ASRBriggs

Postby ASRBriggs » Sep 16, 2017, 12:32 am

Well I resoldered the switches. Still doesn't work.
Soaked it in isopropyl alcohol overnight and let dry. Still doesn't work.

If anyone else has ideas i'm listening!

Sponsored by intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project