Izzo Alex Duetto dead in the water - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
BaristaBoy E61

#11: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

If
Bear007 wrote:No I'm not sure, I left off the cover to keep an eye on it. I believe what you looking at is the corrosion from the copper wires, the bottom gaskets are white on this machine but there is some corrosion on one of my boiler fittings that's what I'm worried about. My GFI should have gone off too, I'm going to have to replace that.

If you can see the heater element gaskets and they're white then they're probably Teflon and they should be OK as long as the elements are screwed in tight.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

DeuxInfuso
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by DeuxInfuso »

I've experienced the same decal browning from heat from a dirty contact on one of the 0.25" blade style connections ar the base of the Gicar. Normal stuff in espresso machines; the factory often doesn't grease the electrical contacts. You should inspect yearly, any sign of heat, unplug the wire, clean & polish the brass contacts, daub both parts w/ silicone grease then reassemble.

You sometimes need to squeeze the curled brass on the wire/socket side if it feels loose. The main heating element sometimes is powered through a relay on the Gicar board and carry 10 to 15 amps. No surprise a dirty cantact gets hot with such current. The heat promotes oxidation, it's a positive feedback loop. I use 400 grit and a thin wood shim (whittled from hardwood), to shine up the brass contacts. Silicone grease keeps moisture and oxygen away from warm brass, stops or slows corrosion.

Same goes for every connection exposed to boiler heat or high current, like Sirai pressure switch contacts. Annual check up, look for signs of heat.

And please always unplug machine before working on electrical parts.

--DeuxInfuso