Izzo Alex Duetto 20amp to 15amp operation?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
parsa_taheri

#1: Post by parsa_taheri »

I have a v1 Alex duetto. The original owner had it on a 20 amp circuit the whole time they had it since it was bought new so well over 10 years. I don't have a 20 amp circuit in my kitchen but I do have it in the basement. I was wondering if using it with a 20-to-15 amp converter cable is plug n play or I need to change any pid settings or toggle any switches like some other machines? Any if I want to take it to the basement can I just simply pull out the converter and plug it into the 20 amp outlet without any changes?

Thanks in advance

chipman

#2: Post by chipman »

It probably is still running at the default 15amp setting, You can check and change it back to 15a in the PID settings. The directions are in the manual. Chris coffee has the PDF on their site. If you want to plug it into a regular outlet, Chris sells the converter cable, but i'm sure you can find the same one at any home improvement supply store.

This is for the Duetto 4 but the same as your machines.
https://shopify-er.s3.amazonaws.com/res ... manual.pdf

Advertisement
JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

parsa_taheri wrote:I have a v1 Alex duetto. The original owner had it on a 20 amp circuit the whole time they had it since it was bought new so well over 10 years. I don't have a 20 amp circuit in my kitchen but I do have it in the basement. I was wondering if using it with a 20-to-15 amp converter cable is plug n play or I need to change any pid settings or toggle any switches like some other machines? Any if I want to take it to the basement can I just simply pull out the converter and plug it into the 20 amp outlet without any changes?
You should check the settings to see what it is set to now. If it's set to 20 A, then yes, take it to the basement and enjoy it, or set it to 15A.
There is really no such thing as a 20-to-15 Amp converter cable, yes I know what Chris Coffee sells, they sell a short piece of 10 or 12 gauge cable with a female Nema 5-20 on one end that your Izzo's plug will fit and a Nema 5-15 on the other so that it will fit a typical outlet. It is not actually changing the draw of the machine.

F.02 set to 5 is 20A, set to 7 is 15A.

And here's the warning, once again:
Warning: These instructions allow the user to change the machine from 15 amp to 20 amp mode. This should
only be done if a 20 amp circuit is available. Operating the machine in 20 amp mode on a 15 amp circuit poses a
serious fire hazard and should never be done. The manufacturer and/or its distributors assume no liability for
failure to follow this warning.

Be safe.

chipman

#4: Post by chipman »

Like you wrote, that cable only allows the machine to be plugged into a normal outlet. I ran my machine at 15a even though I had a 20a circuit and a 20a outlet only because I was too lazy to change it, and it made a negligible improvement on the operation.

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Yet another way to determine the mode it's set to is to monitor the brew & steam boiler lights on the front panel. If they both light simultaneously, it's in 20amp mode. If they only light sequentially, it's in 15amp mode.

I would start by first verifying the PID setup mode for 15amp or 20amp to not risk any trouble. In a home setting it's unlikely to make any difference unless your prep is really quick or you're drinking Red Bull as well as coffee. :mrgreen:
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"