Isomac Tea (E61) condensation inside back cover leaking + water level sensor?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Mike Panic

#1: Post by Mike Panic »

About 2 years ago I burned out the pump in my machine, had a sort of local company replace it for me and since then it's been mostly fine.

Recently, when turning the machine on the pump would run and run and run, turning the machine on and off a few times would usually fix the problem. Maybe related but maybe unrelated....Once a week or so there would be a small puddle of water under the left rear corner though, starting about 2-3 weeks ago.

All the research I've found indicates that the water level sensor is probably the cause, either the connection itself has come loose or the probe is scaled over inside the boiler.

I used the machine this morning, turned it off and just got home from a half day of work - took the back cover off and was shocked to see the whole inside back panel was water droplets on it, also a thin coat of water UNDER the water tank and then dripping into the bottom of the machine tray.

After drying it all out and cleaning it, I can't find a leak anywhere, I did re-seat all the connections by pushing in on them, including the main block for the power cable / ground that goes through the bottom of the machine. put the water tank back in so the pressure switch would activate, turned the machine on and all seems to be working fine - so I'm assuming it was indeed a loose ground that might need a tighter crimp but re-seating works.

My new question is - why is there so much condensation back there and what can I do to stop it?

Edit to add photos

nahau

#2: Post by nahau »

A lot of times if there are no visible leaks but a ton of water is in the machine, it points to the boiler pressure safety valve releasing the water due to an overpressure event. However, you wouldn't expect this to happen if the machine is turned off... like after you pulled your coffee in the morning and left for work. On the other hand, if the boiler is overfilled (pump running too long, or a bad/leaky water solenoid) then perhaps boiler pressure was up there a bit and the safety valve released water anyways even though you turned off the machine. Might have released the second you stepped out of the door.

Might be a good idea to check the boiler level probe for scale/build up and give it a good cleaning. If your boiler is overfilling due to either a dirty level probe or bad water solenoid (overfilling the boiler while you're pulling a shot), then you might see other symptoms, like more water than usual coming from the steam wand. What you've witnessed is not normal, so something is going on in the water chain... I doubt a bad/dirty ground would do this. I don't own an Isomac so I'm not sure how it's put together.

Mike Panic (original poster)

#3: Post by Mike Panic (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply, I added photos to the original post, - this is what the machine looks like after it's been on for about 4 hours.

Everything I'm seeing wet inside / dripping seems to be a direct result of the condensation on the back of the water tank, inside back of the case cover. No explanation for this.

I've had this machine for about 10 years, never had an issue with this.

stefano65
Sponsor

#4: Post by stefano65 »

That's a very unusual place for a leakage, cracked reservoir???
there are no components back there that could leak,
but is certainly like condensation then just a leak......
I suggest to run the machine for a while without the casing (if can be done safely of course no kids' zapppp)
and see if you can see more
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

#5: Post by Mike Panic (original poster) »

Just turned it back on and will set a timer to check it in a few hours, no case.

I actually reached out to you back in 2018 when I had an issue and you suggested a place here on the east coast to fix it, Viva.

I did just notice that the two rubber "grommets" that hold the pump in place are crooked and the pump slipped out of them a bit but it will have to wait to see if I can adjust it when it cools down later tonight after this test run - that's what Viva replaced for me, the pump.

stefano65
Sponsor

#6: Post by stefano65 »

I actually reached out to you back in 2018 when I had an issue and you suggested a place here on the east coast to fix it, Viva.

I did just notice that the two rubber "grommets" that hold the pump in place are crooked and the pump slipped out of them a bit but it will have to wait to see if I can adjust it when it cools down later tonight after this test run - that's what Viva replaced for me, the pump.

Hummm I don't believe it would be us
I have no idea who that company is,

however make sure that the pump support are not cut
regardless the pump is located in the front under the boiler.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

#7: Post by Mike Panic (original poster) »

I'm letting the machine cool down, looking at your PDF, the rubber 'pump holders' listed as part #82 are more like this / / and less like this | | in holding the pump in place.... not sure if that matters at all but I'm going to try and correct that then fire it back up again.

#8: Post by Mike Panic (original poster) »

Update: I couldn't let well enough alone - I think I sort of fixed the pump holder, pulled out the water temp sensor from the boiler and it was basically clean as could be, put it all back together, and ensured all plugs were seated correctly.

Current situation is here

I'm monitoring for leaks anywhere just absolutely baffled how condensation would come on the back of the water reservoir.

nahau

#9: Post by nahau »

Does the water in the reservoir feel hot? Condensation being a heat exchange, perhaps hot water from your boiler is bypassing a check valve and getting into the reservoir. Is the machine in an air-conditioned room?

#10: Post by Mike Panic (original poster) »

Machine has been on for 2 hours, case off, I put a paper towel under the water reservoir just to see if that was dripping - no leaks anywhere else in the machine so far.

it was 65f this morning when I woke up and about 5 degrees cooler outside, humidity in the mid 60% range, windows open. It's now mid-day and 71f in here and a few degrees warmer, humidity dropped a bit, windows open.

Water in reservoir is room temp / slightly cooler than room temp.