Intake valve bouncing

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
SAS
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by SAS »

Salvatore Lever Espresso Machine 2016. Plumbed in, no line filter, very soft local water.

For a few years the water intake valve (made by Parker) opened and closed once for each automatic refill. A month ago it started acting irregularly. Listen to the audio clip here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14hf0hg ... drive_link
This was a short one, sometimes they last twice as long, but you get the idea.

I cleaned the sensor rod, (didn't need it). I suspect the controller board, but don't know a thing about it.

Any suggestions?
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

DeuxInfuso
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by DeuxInfuso »

Didn't find audio recording, but a possibility is some slowly developing oxidation in the sensor circuit or electrovalve solenoid connections. Disconnect all connectors, one at a time, clean with 600 grit or rubbing compound and a tapered wood sliver carved from a popsicle stick, clean any residue, brown kraft paper glued to a thin wood wedge can be effective with a dab of automotive rubbing compound or rouge or even toothpaste

Prior to reassembly add a touch of silicone grease (Dow molykote 111 is my preference) to help protect the copper or brass from future oxidation. It won't affect the connection unless you apply too much. This treatment is also advised for all high current connections, say every 5 years.

Look for signs of oxidation that seem to creep up slowly, or sometimes quickly. Noalox and Oxgard are 2 brand names for electrical junction antioxidant sold at most hardware stores.

--Deuxinfuso

SAS (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by SAS (original poster) »

Cleaned all contacts, they were pristine looking before cleaning. No change in valve behavior.

I suspect the control board might have an issue, or the Parker solenoid valve itself. I'm going to disassemble the valve and make sure no particles are messing things up. I probably should add a kitchen level filter to the water intake line.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.