I need a pic of the inside of Eric's E61 thermometer

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
bluesman

#1: Post by bluesman »

I thought my battery was dead, so I popped the case to change it. What I found was that one of the two white wires to the probe broke from its attachment to the board. And even with my loupe on, I can't find any sign of the location of its former attachment. I couldn't find any pics or diagrams of the wiring for a Taylor 9842 online, so I called them - and they "don't provide that information". The rep told me I'd just have to buy a new one.

If anyone can post a photo of the inside of the thermometer body with the wires attached to the board, I'd really appreciate it. If it's of sufficient quality and resolution for me to crop and enlarge the board where the wires attach, it'd be fantastic. I will not discard a perfectly good device and buy another just because of this.

Thanks so very much!!

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Which thermometer? There have been a few

Advertisement
JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

Well...
On the 9840N it looks like this. i hope yours is similar.

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

bluesman (original poster)

#5: Post by bluesman (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:Which thermometer? There have been a few
"I couldn't find any pics or diagrams of the wiring for a Taylor 9842"

#6: Post by bluesman (original poster) »

JRising wrote:Well...
On the 9840N it looks like this. i hope yours is similar.
That's it - thanks so much!!! The soldering station is heating up as we speak.

#7: Post by bluesman (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:image
That's it too - many thanks! I can't believe that Taylor needs the $ enough to make me buy a new one for this. If these connections break often enough to generate significant revenue from replacements, I wouldn't buy anything from them. And if they're that insensitive to customer satisfaction and environmental protection, I wouldn't buy anything from them.

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

Check that the joints to the battery holder aren't fractured. I had to reflow mine when replacing the battery after 10 years or so.

#9: Post by bluesman (original poster) replying to Jeff »

Thanks, Jeff! I just fixed it and everything looks fine.

I found it interesting that the white insulation on my probe wires (I see that some are black) was a bit browned near the board. I suspect that the cases, interiors and wiring on these Taylor thermometers were not designed for constant exposure to high temps. If I experience any more mechanical failures inside it, I may lengthen the wires and move the head to a cooler spot on top.

As I've learned to judge the temps well after using this for about 2 years, I may just pull it out too. Thanks again to everyone who responded! HB is a wonderful group of people and I'm thankful to be a member of the community.

David

Jeff
Team HB

#10: Post by Jeff »

As I believe EricS modifies them by cutting the shaft shorter and resoldering the leads, that is what might have caused the discoloration. I don't think that the board gets "hot" from the group head. There's not a lot of conduction through the shaft and, as I recall, the shaft isn't directly connected to the board.

I found that being able to hit a temperature of my choice within a degree or two allowed me to get more out of many lighter roasts, as well a some darker ones.