How to use Loctite 290 to fix a pin hole leak - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Flitzgordon

#21: Post by Flitzgordon »

Can we solder and patch up the holes and will the solder hold on to the boiler's heat and pressure?
Also don't solder contain lead.

My idea of soldering is those used for electronics.
Will those work?

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by Marcelnl »

regular solder for electronics will not work! That stuff is conductive electronics glue, nothing more. Comparable to the loctite but conductive, it may plug a hole, it may not.

The flux is different AND electronics rosin core solder has a much lower melting point, like around 220'C whereas brazing solder needs more than 450'C.
LMWDP #483

slipchuck

#23: Post by slipchuck »

Flitzgordon wrote:Can we solder and patch up the holes and will the solder hold on to the boiler's heat and pressure?
Also don't solder contain lead.

My idea of soldering is those used for electronics.
Will those work?
You can buy solder that is lead free

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

ira
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by ira »

I would caution you that there is a chance those parts are silver brazed and not soldered. Also, if it's soldered you need very strong, lead free solder. I think 95/5 tin/silver is the strongest soft solder, but you should probably check that's still true. And if silver braze, make sure it's safe around food, many of them aren't. If you're familiar with those products, you might be able to tell by trying to scratch the solder to see how hard it is.

I don't know the answer, but you don't want to guess wrong.

Ira

DaveC

#25: Post by DaveC »

I've used Lead free silver solder before to fix a leak in a brazed t piece designed to hold 9 bar+ The brazing was defective from the factory with very small pinhole leaks like you have and with a decent flux, hardware store gas blowtorch and lead free silver solder...it should be doable. You just need to get it clean, hot enough and make sure the solder flows around the joint.

The brazing melts at a much higher temperature than silver solder (which isn't the same as low temp electrical solder on circuit boards), so you shouldn't have any problems.

beer&mathematics

#26: Post by beer&mathematics »

I hope to properly braze the pinhole leak soon but after the Loctite failed, I tried one more simple fix.

I put on heat resistant tape:

It is meant only to be a temporary fix while I try to finish the rest of the machine. I only leave the machine on for about 30 minutes at a time.

It seems to be working ok so far. It lets me bring the machine on and up to pressure of 1.5 bar without leaking.
LMWDP #431