How to unmount the solenoid?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Mookie_

#1: Post by Mookie_ »

Hi all,

I have an issue with my solenoid valve inside my Expobar Brewtus. As foreseen in this thread (Pump keeps running), the issue that my solenoid does not trigger (i.e. water is not being pumped in the boiler but being pumped back in the water tank) came back. I have already replaced the coil, but this did not help - every few weeks, the issue keeps coming back. I can "fix" it temporarily by opending the case and banging a wrench on the solenoid.
So obviously I need a more sustainable solution. I guess cleaning (or replacing) the solenoid value would do the job, but this leads to my question: How do I unmount the solenoid from a Brewtus IV-P?

The one nut is so tight that when I apply torque, the solendoid and input tube twist and I am afraid to proceed. And on the other side, everything is so cramped that I see no way to access the nut.

Has anyone done this removal and have some tips for me?

Thanks,
Mookie

Mookie_ (original poster)

#2: Post by Mookie_ (original poster) »

Nobody removed the solenoid valve / labyrinth out of a Brewtus? No hints?

Anyway, maybe you can help me with a related question: Right before / at the time the pump activates to fill the boilder, I hear a little "click" sound. Not when my issue occurs, i.e. the solenoid does not trigger so instead of filling the boiler all water is pumped right back into the tank, I think the click sound is missing - not 100% sure, but quite. What should that tell me? Could it be that I do not have an issue with the solenoid but with the electric control? I replaced the solenoid coil already, therefore we can rule this out as the root cause. So far I assumed the valve has the issue, because I can "fix" (for 1-2 weeks) the issue by banging a bit on the valve. Therefore I ruled out any electric - but is that correct? Why could the click sound be missing?

BR
Mookie

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

I looked at the parts diagram for the IV and I can't tell from those pictures how one might remove the solenoid. It's always important to use two wrenches when loosening tube fittings.

If the click is coming from the solenoid and it stops, it clearly needs to be replaced or cleaned. I know the coil can be removed and it might be possible to get to the solenoid insides once you take that off.

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

How many solenoid valves does your machine have?
Might the problem be with another solenoid valve or even with a back flow preventer check valve?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Mookie_ (original poster)

#5: Post by Mookie_ (original poster) »

So, I am now 99% sure the issue is within the solenoid (and not an issue with the electric controller): Every 1-3 weeks the pump is not filling the boiler but pumping and the water flows right back into the tank. I can "fix" the issue by opening the case and tapping/banging a wrench on the solenoid. It seems like something is stuck inside and I can loosen it and the machine works again - for the next 1-3 weeks.

But I still cannot remove the solenoid to clean or replace it, and this drives me nuts! This is the exploded view of the Expobar labyrinth:

It is easy to unmount the pipe on one side (at #9), but where and how can I get it off on the other side? At #6 seems logical, but the there is bascially no space to get there. I looks like I would have to remove both boilers which for obvious reasons I don't want to do. There must be a better way!?? Unscrewing at a different position, for example at #2 was also not possible as the nuts are soo tight that nothing moves / I stop due to fear of twisting the whole thing out of it place...

I could try to take some pictures if that would help, but I hope that somebody is able to help who has done this repair already and just has the magic tip...?

BR
Bernd

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Extract the whole assembly from the machine and with a wrench on #6 and another wrench on the solenoid or with the solenoid body in a vice, separate the two by twisting counterclockwise.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

cafeIKE

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

Put a 230v LED across the solenoid terminals. If it doesn't light when the pump activates, it's the control. If it does, then the valve is toast, assuming the replacement solenoid coil is not defective, which can be checked with an ohm meter.

If you don't know what the picture means, take the machine to a repair shop.