How to fix a Bezzera steam toggle? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
doublehelix (original poster)

#11: Post by doublehelix (original poster) »

Took another look at the steam shaft-- the one on my machine is not brass--looks like steel. ???? I tried filing the stem pad a bit more-- no luck.

Have new parts on order....finger crossed....

DanoM

#12: Post by DanoM »

I cut a groove that closely approximated the groove on the other edge of the shaft head. Looking at the edges of the factory cut groove you can estimate how deep you need to make the cut. It is quite deep.

As an aside this thread got me looking into finally purchasing a new part as backup for my Bezzera. Turns out IDrinkCoffee.com will ship to me in Japan, so I'm getting a couple.
LMWDP #445

#13: Post by doublehelix (original poster) »

Okay--- you see a groove....what I saw--maybe just some language issue-- is a recess machined/stamped out of the stem head. A groove makes sense since the edge of the stainless toggle can slip in there. Probably had a defective part that marginally worked.... Thanks!
Just ordered a bunch of new parts including gaskets, etc....Was tempted to purchase a whole new steam valve assembly for not much more $.

#14: Post by doublehelix (original poster) »

Fixed! Replaced the steam valve stem....
Interesting-- both old and new valve stems are made of steel-- stainless steel--only very slightly magnetic.

There is a small groove, in the upper quadrant of the button-part that that catches the toggle for locking.

I also learned that the steam and water toggles are different: the steam one sports a groove around the stainless steel part that engages the valve stem.
Not interchangeable....

Last note: To completely screw-in the valve stem, you have to remove the entire valve assembly from the machine. With this done, you access the "gasket holder part" in the assembly rear with a screwdriver for threading in the valve stem. (I didn't do this-- the valve stem is hanging in there by a few threads....we'll see....)

Flitzgordon

#15: Post by Flitzgordon »

From this
http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Wands-Knobs-c603.htm

Can I check which is the steam valve stem you are referring?
Part 4?

I'm having trouble getting part 4 out

Séb

#16: Post by Séb »

I had the same issue on my Salvatore machine. I tried everything i could as mods to fix it but after weeks of trying various things it did not fix the issue so i ask Salvatore and he just offered to send a whole valve ass'y for free. But i decided to opt for the knob instead to be safe. One year later, no problem at all with the new knob style but it looks a bit ugly with a lever for the water and the knob for the steam and i don't care ;)

#17: Post by doublehelix (original poster) »

Flitzgordon wrote:From this
http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Wands-Knobs-c603.htm

Can I check which is the steam valve stem you are referring?
Part 4?

I'm having trouble getting part 4 out
Sorry for the late response...
This link doesn't work. The steam valve stem looks a rod with a disk at one end. This disk has a notch allowing the toggle (joy stick) to lock it open--steam flow without hanging on.....

To remove: remove the joystick knob fittings--disc on valve stem will be revealed--press in and turn to unscrew....if this doesn't work, then you'll need to remove the whole assembly.
Was a pesky problem.......next machine will not have a joy stick......