Hopper that NEVER runs out of beans!

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Vakse Viggo

#1: Post by Vakse Viggo »

I really like the look of a full hopper...especially on an old vintage model with glass hopper. I use my 1983 Quickmill Omre together with my 1956 Faema Faemina, but I always had to take off the hopper, or empty it, when using the Faemina.

With this little simple mod it always looks full with old decoration beans, and it does not matter if I accidentally touch the release lever...yes, it happens more often than you think. :) Also the chances of me breaking it, gets smaller...after all, a replacement cost 400 Euro.

Really happy how this turned out.

The doser plastic had seen better days, so a heat gun and a piece of plexi glass, took care of that.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Smart idea! And it saves you the trouble of having to clean it for aesthetic reasons. :D Excellent job on the replacement doser lense.
Dan Kehn

thecoffeefield

#3: Post by thecoffeefield »

This is genius! It will also shield your beans from the light if you keep the beans you use (not the fake ones) for few days

Vakse Viggo (original poster)

#4: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) »

HB wrote:Smart idea! And it saves you the trouble of having to clean it for aesthetic reasons. :D Excellent job on the replacement doser lense.
Thanks Dan

It is such an easy and cheap mod, that works on so many levels.

I have to make another doser lense. This one was kind of, or became, a prototype. I found a tin that fits the shape of the doser a lot better, so next time OD will have to be a little bit bigger, and then the top and bottom of the lense will have to be grinded on the outside, so the ID is going to fit just right.
Otherwise the arms will scrape on the plexi. The original plastic was a lot thinner and could be bend into shape a lot easier, but this 3 mm plexi just looks so much better and glass like. Maybe one day, I will have a proper glass lens made.

#5: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) »

thecoffeefield wrote:This is genius! It will also shield your beans from the light if you keep the beans you use (not the fake ones) for few days
Thanks Gabriel

Yes, and now I can also do some single dosing with a full hopper! :D

thecoffeefield

#6: Post by thecoffeefield »

Now I have to figure out a way to this to my Mazzer Super Jolly with the mini hopper

#7: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) replying to thecoffeefield »

Is it possible to click the finger guard off...?

thecoffeefield

#8: Post by thecoffeefield replying to Vakse Viggo »

If you mean the umbrella like thing in the hopper then yes, I can have that removed as they are attached with screws. Only issue I'll have to find plugs for the screw holes left behind.

#9: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) replying to thecoffeefield »

Just put some foil paper in the holes...you wont be able to see it anyway, because of the beans. :wink:

thecoffeefield

#10: Post by thecoffeefield replying to Vakse Viggo »

I love that idea! I'll give it a shot and maybe take pictures.