High quality electric screwdriver recommendations?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

This is a question for our wrenchers in residence. Can you recommend a high quality power screwdriver that has a changeable battery so it doesn't become junk when the battery memory wears out? I'm looking for something that can go into small places and maybe turn a corner. Bonus points if it can turn medium size screws and nuts. I'm thinking of something that has variable speed, maybe controlled by the trigger. Corded is okay too, but not preferred.

I'm not looking for an impact driver but instead for something that's good for doing fine work with small parts that can be hard to reach.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

There's a Ryobi one at HD for $25 with a hinged handle and removable battery that looks nice. And there's a bunch on AliExpress.com, some of which clearly contain standard sized lithium batteries and look like they can be opened up to replace the battery. I'm tempted to say that replaceable batteries might not be a huge benefit if the batteries are lithium as they seem to last quite a long time if you respect them and it's not uncommon for a new tool with battery to cost barely more than a replacement battery. Seems like it's common to treat power tools like Gillette treats the almost free handles for replaceable razor cartridges. I'd recommend the one's I have, but they're many years old and not made any more but either the lithium batteries are still fine or the Rigid lifetime warranty makes the worry a bit less.

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

It's a little pricey for a "screwdriver," but I use a Makita DF032D. https://www.makita.ca/index2new.php?eve ... 2&catid=82

While it looks at first glance like an impact driver, it is not an impact driver; it is much smaller, but has 280 in.lbs. of torque thanks to the 12v brushless motor. ("Electric screwdrivers" are typically under 100 in.lbs., and often under 50 in.lbs.) The brushless motor also makes the tool small compared to drivers with regular motors, while also offering incredible trigger control on the variable speed.

You can do better with professional tools meant for factory assembly line usage, but those are a lot more money.

I don't think that Makita carries the DF032D in the USA, so it'll probably be least expensive to import it from Canada. Note that there is a brushed motor version DF033D which is much less expensive (and bigger and less powerful).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

roadman
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by roadman »

This will check all your boxes and turn corners too Bosch Flexiclick

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

baldheadracing wrote:You can do better with professional tools meant for factory assembly line usage, but those are a lot more money.
I forgot all about industrial screwdrivers. I haven't used the one we have since I taught our employees how. We've a Pluto 10D:

https://kolverusa.com/products-list/4-PLUTO-MITO-Series

and it's matching controller, EDU2AE/TOP/TA:

https://kolverusa.com/products-list/8-C ... EDU-Series

Which is really cool and absurdly flexible, in my case it screws in Allen set screws 8.5 turns and stops, a seemingly simple but absurdly expensive to solve problem. Finding screwdrivers to tighten something consistently is trivially easy and reasonably inexpensive, finding something to count turns is not. I found a very understanding sales manager who included last years demo controller so it only cost about $1700, not the $4000 it might have cost if I'd had to pay full price.

romlee
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by romlee »

Having owned and run a custom furniture and design shop, Festool cordless drills and drivers were indispensable. With their Centrotec attachments and accessories they are versatile and precise. You might find the CXS model useful.

https://www.festoolusa.com/products/cor ... s#Overview
“Be curious, not judgemental.” T. Lasso

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Thanks for these great choices. This feels like being a newbie again asking about a high quality espresso machine on Home-Barista.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Advertisement
luvmy40

#8: Post by luvmy40 »

ira wrote:There's a Ryobi one at HD for $25 with a hinged handle and removable battery that looks nice. And there's a bunch on AliExpress.com, some of which clearly contain standard sized lithium batteries and look like they can be opened up to replace the battery. I'm tempted to say that replaceable batteries might not be a huge benefit if the batteries are lithium as they seem to last quite a long time if you respect them and it's not uncommon for a new tool with battery to cost barely more than a replacement battery. Seems like it's common to treat power tools like Gillette treats the almost free handles for replaceable razor cartridges. I'd recommend the one's I have, but they're many years old and not made any more but either the lithium batteries are still fine or the Rigid lifetime warranty makes the worry a bit less.
emphasis added

Rigid's "Lifetime Warranty" on their cordless tool batteries is a lie. I bought several of their cordless tools and batteries based on this "Lifetime Warranty" only to be told, after the first battery failure and replacement that the "Lifetime Warranty" was not being honored any longer. This was about 10 years ago. The tools were top notch. No complaints there. The warranty was nothing more than a fraudulent sales tactic.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

Dewalt has 2 Gyroscopic cordless screwdrivers that look interesting. https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-t ... -screwguns I have a number of their 20v cordless tools but haven't used one of their screwdrivers. Based on the reviews they seem to work well.
LMWDP 267

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Hah! I've just ordered one of those Dewalts and will let you know how it works.
Gary
LMWDP#308