High quality electric screwdriver recommendations? - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#21: Post by baldheadracing »

JohnB. wrote:Milwaukee is just another old name owned by the Chinese (Techtronic Industries) these days.
True, but TTI does ensure that Milwaukee is their best tool line, followed by AEG/Ridgid Orange, then Ryobi, and I guess Hart at the bottom.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by JohnB. replying to baldheadracing »

That's not exactly setting the bar high. Ridgid makes a good shop vac but I wouldn't buy their tools. Had a set of Ryobi cordless tools 10 years ago & they were crap. Several of my friends that have been in the building industry for decades used to swear by Milwaukee tools. They moved on to other brands when it came time to replace their old Milwaukee tools as they weren't impressed with the companies current product.
LMWDP 267

roadman
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by roadman replying to JohnB. »

Sad but true

baldheadracing
Team HB

#24: Post by baldheadracing »

JohnB. wrote:That's not exactly setting the bar high. Ridgid makes a good shop vac but I wouldn't buy their tools. Had a set of Ryobi cordless tools 10 years ago & they were crap. Several of my friends that have been in the building industry for decades used to swear by Milwaukee tools. They moved on to other brands when it came time to replace their old Milwaukee tools as they weren't impressed with the companies current product.
It's all price points - you pay a certain price, you get a certain level of features, components, build quality, and warranty - the brand name is just a label. However, now that you can buy Hilti at a discount at Home Depot, I wouldn't be buying Milwaukee, DeWalt, Festool, Makita, etc., unless I was already invested in a brand's battery system or a particular brand had an excellent product, like Bosch for 12v screwdrivers.

Ryobi has always had some cr*p, especially in bundled tools, but they have some decent value-priced tools in amongst their better models (but not electric screwdrivers). Ryobi are not tools I'd rely on to earn a living, but I find some Ryobi good enough for tools that I'll use rarely.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Graymatters

#25: Post by Graymatters »

JohnB. wrote:Milwaukee is just another old name owned by the Chinese (Techtronic Industries) these days.
Okay. It's all well and good to speak in broad, damning strokes, but we're talking about a particular tool and it's one that gets overwhelmingly positive reviews, anywhere you look. We were asked for recommendations on a screwdriver, not on an endgame powertool ecosystem.
LMWDP #726

skink91

#26: Post by skink91 »

I have the DeWalt 8v Max (gyroscopic action). Its great.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#27: Post by drgary (original poster) »

^ ^ ^

This.

It's very well built and its use is intuitive and gestural, kind of like a lever machine. :wink:

You press the trigger, press it in a screw, turn to the right for tightening or the left for loosening. For faster operation, turn farther. Mid-operation, reduce that turn and it slows down. It's very clever. It's not extremely fast, which seems right for a manual in-line screwdriver. It feels and the manual says it's professional grade, although certainly not the industrial piece of gear some of you have described. I also appreciate its having a swappable battery and hope the company offers replacements for as long as I'm using it.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by JohnB. »

Glad to hear that it worked out for you. I picked up the DCF680N2 version with the adjustable handle today.
LMWDP 267

spressomon

#29: Post by spressomon »

Two Dewalt 8v Gyro screwdrivers...have been returned after they developed inconsistent performance/operation; typical issues from the online reviews I've read about same. Fortunately, I bought them at Home Depot and got a refund.

Hope you have better luck.
No Espresso = Depresso

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by JohnB. »

We'll see. 6336 reviews on Amazon for the model I bought. 82% (5 star) loved it which is pretty good for any power tool these days.
LMWDP 267