Help with servicing Izzo Alex Duetto in Hong Kong (multiple problems) - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
BaristaBoy E61

#11: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Hi Stuart,

" I would go as far as to say 100% of the excess water is produced only when pulling a shot because other than then the machine powers up, reaches the correct pressures, etc and looks and acts completely normal."

"Making a single cup now uses about 3/4 of the reservoir and of course the coffee's undrinkable because the water is now only lukewarm."

"Before using it there were no leaks of any kind, no hissing or strange noises. I saw no leaks while pulling a shot although the entire water reservoir was still used to make one cup - all of the water discharged through the single overflow pipe."

"I collected the water in a tray underneath and it was cold."

It sounds to me like the OPV Safety Pressure release valve (12-bar) or the Sirai Auto Fill Solenoid might be defective (stuck). Does the PID indicate that the set temperature of the brew boiler is OK; is the water coming out of the group, even without a portafilter, as hot as it should be?

Keep me posted.

Steve
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Paul_Pratt

#12: Post by Paul_Pratt »

stivesstu wrote:Hi,

I initially had a problem with the overflow tray filling up with water every time I made a coffee. I generally fixed this by fully opening and closing the pressure valve and resetting it. But I think it's on the way pout

Putting everything back together the low water alarm stopped working. I had this problem before and knew where to look but this time it's dead as a dodo (even after trying a magnet on a chopstick and replacing the sensor with a new one). There's no clicking sound as there was before so I believe it's not the magnet float which seems to be the most common problem.

Then last night the steam wand started letting off steam continuously even though it's fully tightened down.

These problem's may or may not be related and easily fixed but I seem to be half fixing one only to cause another. It's a touch disheartening but I do think it's probably time to get someone who knows what they're doing to give it a good looking over

Does anybody know an engineer I can call in Hong Kong. I can't find one to save my life.

Thanks
Isn't the agent for these machines Brio Espresso? I thought they were. Did you buy it in HK?

The overflow should be easy do diagnose as there are only 2 places it can come from, the lower drain valve on the group or the Expansion valve. You should be able to see where it comes from when you pull a shot.

JojoS

#13: Post by JojoS »

Brio Espresso permanently closed a few years ago. They used to distribute Lelit too.

Paul_Pratt

#14: Post by Paul_Pratt replying to JojoS »

Oh I did not know that. I knew they moved many years ago to Yau Tong.

stivesstu (original poster)

#15: Post by stivesstu (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice, Steve et al. Plenty there for me to work on which I hope to do over the next few days.

Paul: I bought my machine 3 years ago through ebay from a seller in Italy after seeing an older Duetto II for sale in a small coffee shop in Kwun Tong for HK$4,000 more than mine. They would have been useful but they've since moved unfortunately. I'll see how I get on fixing these problems myself but either way it's probably a good idea to email the company in Italy and see what other options I have, just in case.

Cheers

#16: Post by stivesstu (original poster) »

Well, well, Izzo got back to me and said they had just appointed their first HK Distributor and to give them a call. If anyone needs it: Stephen Wong, Hong Kong & Pacific Group Ltd

BaristaBoy E61

#17: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Hi Stuart,

I think your fix will likely be quite simple once properly diagnosed. A previous poster suggested a stuck (solenoid) valve, that or an OPV or some other 1-way check valve.

Do the pressure gauges indicate anything abnormal?

Steve
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JojoS

#18: Post by JojoS »

stivesstu wrote:Well, well, Izzo got back to me and said they had just appointed their first HK Distributor and to give them a call. If anyone needs it: Stephen Wong, Hong Kong & Pacific Group Ltd
I know them. They distribute Gaggia and
I get my spare parts from them. They are located in Sheung Wan. An area where you can find numerous specialty coffee shops in HK.

#19: Post by stivesstu (original poster) »

Hi Steve,

I think you're absolutely right. I do love the challenge of fixing it (just finished wiring up a Gibson guitar with two single coil/humbucker pickups - 50 different solder points in a 2inch square hole - took me three days and sent me nuts. But fun nevertheless :D)

I'm definitely going to give the machine a few days of my time but my sensible side and the wife's/friends moaning is telling me I've got three problems: the steam wand, the refill alarm and the water leak, then when I find out what's wrong I've got to order the parts and wait perhaps three weeks. I probably caused at least one of these problems :roll: And to cap it all I've had it for three years, left switched on for most of that time, and shouldn't I really get a professional to give it the once over? Once in 3 years doesn't seem excessive and if I'm going to service it, now would be the time. The stars all seemed to have aligned..We'll see... the less sensible side of me is skeptical of what "servicing" actually entails and says I should fix it because it doesn't seem that hard and the professionals won't do much more than me (without belittling their skills of course)

The pressure gauges all look normal. The machine looks and acts completely normally until you use it. The water seems to be pumped straight from the reservoir to the spill tray...it's that fast. At least there are only two or three things that it could be and I'll be looking at them today.

JojoS: Good to know. At least they're on Hong Kong Island and not Tsuen Wan or Tuen Mun. That whole area around Sheung Wan is changing fast and becoming really quite gentrified. Might be a good excuse to visit some of the brew pubs that are sprouting up in Kennedy Town (now that the abattoir's gone :mrgreen: )

jerbear00

#20: Post by jerbear00 »

Giampiero wrote:Hi Stivesstu, my 2 cents opinion, i will first try to check the steam valve, if the big brass washer has gone loose, ( it should be firmly screwed to the knob) it will keep the shaft pulled off.
Remove the clip from the shaft and unscrews the knob from the valve, then try to activate the steam boiler and check if the steam wand still leaking, if still leaking obviously there is some problem in the seal valve itself
Have you tried the above?

This solved a steam leak of mine in the past. This is the first thing Chris coffee will suggest. Very common issue and free/easy fix.