Help with La Pavoni Europiccola heating element gasket removal - Page 4

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
john402052000 (original poster)

#31: Post by john402052000 (original poster) »

fortunately my brother is an engineer and is going to talk me through this. It's always good to have one of those in the family!

homeburrero
Team HB

#32: Post by homeburrero replying to john402052000 »

I agree with that. I've been trying to analyze what wiring snafu could possibly cause the symptom you saw (red light works only when white switch is in the middle) and I haven't come up with an answer. I took a circuits class in school, but didnt like it (and really didnt learn much.) Hope your bro can figure it out. Do be careful, make sure it's on a GFI protected circuit, make absolutely sure you can't get one hand on a live and the other on a ground or neutral. (Some people work with one hand behind their back if they must touch the innards of an energized appliance.)

Related to this, I just posted some nice diagrams that I found just a day or two ago that I think make the wiring of these machines very clear, including the diferent way that the old (white body) and new (black body) switches are wired up. See La Pavoni Europiccola 2-element wiring diagrams
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#33: Post by john402052000 (original poster) »

Thanks a bunch for the link.

My basic problem is figuring out which terminals are 200W and which are 1000W. My brother wondered if I could just take the base back off and see if I can tell by looking at where the elements are attached to the top of the base -- if they line up with their respective terminals on the bottom of the base. I'm pretty close to just seeing if there is a good, small appliance repair shop in town that I can take this to.

homeburrero
Team HB

#34: Post by homeburrero »

john402052000 wrote:My basic problem is figuring out which terminals are 200W and which are 1000W.
The two that are furthest apart are 800, and the two closest to the center are 200 (the 200 element is nested inside the 800 element.)
Pat

drgary
Team HB

#35: Post by drgary »

john402052000 wrote:My basic problem is figuring out which terminals are 200W and which are 1000W. My brother wondered if I could just take the base back off and see if I can tell by looking at where the elements are attached to the top of the base -- if they line up with their respective terminals on the bottom of the base.
Probably. Take a look. Often on such machines the element plate of the boiler is stamped with that information.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#36: Post by john402052000 (original poster) »

Wow -- I just saw that in the diagram. Thanks again for posting that link. I now know which terminals are which!

homeburrero
Team HB

#37: Post by homeburrero »

john402052000 wrote:I'm pretty close to just seeing if there is a good, small appliance repair shop in town that I can take this to.
Good idea. Show them the diagrams that I linked to, and the specs for the resistance on those elements. Also have them check to make sure that none of the element terminals leaks current to ground (to the element base) when there's water in the boiler. For that you need a tester that measures megaOhms.
Pat