Help! Wiring 2 group Expobar 220V espresso machine??

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
thien211

#1: Post by thien211 »

Hi everyone, i require some information and advise on how to wire the machine. i have recently bought an EXPOBAR 2 group machine, on the specification plate, it written 220-230V 50Hz 2700W. so i would assume this machine is single phase powered. however, there are 4 wires: brown, blue, black, and yellow/green. yellow/green are definitely ground wire, how about the other 3? it is connected to the main switch then to the pressurestat.

N.B i am living in UK, it uses 220V as well.

appreciate for reading and comment.

Cheers

Advertisement
Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

This page should might do it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring

ALso check THIS:
Reviving Futurmat Ariete?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

jonr

#3: Post by jonr »

If you don't get a direct answer, you might post the resistance between each wire and the others.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

The Yellow/green should be ground and that should be easy to check. One of the others is Neutral, and the other two are line1 and line2.

"Cut the blue wire"
"NOOO! Don't cut the blue wire!"
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Larz

#5: Post by Larz »

]Hi Alex,

I rebuilt an Expobar 110v Single group commercial unit a couple years ago and have manuals (including electrical schematics) covering most 110/220v commercial Expobar machines, 2 and 3 group,....they are all basically the same. PM me if you would like me to send you one. You are fortunate in Expobar having a local corporate presence in England. When I first began my restoration I originally interfaced with an extremely accommodating Expobar technical rep in Britain, named Lee Rushton. PM me if you would like his email address...I assume he is still with Expobar there. When I began my restoration I was dumber than dog crap about these machines and Lee was very accommodating, as were the manufacturing and sales people at the Spanish manufacturing headquarters. I was able to source all the parts I needed from Spain....you can probably get yours in Britain.

Larz

fluke

#6: Post by fluke »

I have the same machine you do, only with the volumetric dosers (which never get used) and have had it apart on my workbench twice. The cremeinternational.com site has moved stuff around since the last time I link to the manual, but you can find it here: http://creminternational.com/download_u ... m1=Expobar

The excerpt you are looking for:

----

after the acid bath, and remounting the boiler:

mostly back together:

fluke

#7: Post by fluke »

parts list (link is on my public dropbox, let me know if you have any difficulties getting it, and I'll send it directly to you)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/566 ... t%20LF.pdf

this is my coffee bench in the garage.

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#8: Post by homeburrero »

Nice post, fluke. Clears up a lot of confusion. I did have to stare a long time at those diagrams before they made sense. Helped when I figured out that when it says 2Ph for the Machine, it just means that the machine has 2 phase wires (what we in the US tend to call live or hot wires.) And in the terminology describing the supply, Ph, 2Ph, and 3Ph are used to describe 1) a single phase, single live-wire supply, 2) a split phase supply, and 3) a three phase supply. Then if you accept that there is a minor typo in the lower left diagram it all makes sense. (where it says 'neutral', I think it should say 'phase'*)

* My reasoning here: A "2Ph 230V" would be a supply with two (split-phase) live wires and no neutral, as indicated in the top middle circuit diagram. So the only place for the blue wire to go would be the other live (phase) wire. Also it would make sense because you would have the expected 230V potential between brown-blue, and between black-blue.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

thien211 (original poster)

#9: Post by thien211 (original poster) »

Thank you for the comments!

i have asked my uncle, mr Google, he said it is 2phase +N. so i do you know i shall hook the 2phase wire together to the 'hot' side?

thank you for the file fluke, that is very helpful. i am going acid bath the copper parts too. did you use citric acid? how much acid you used?

homeburrero
Team HB

#10: Post by homeburrero »

thien211 wrote:i have asked my uncle, mr Google, he said it is 2phase +N.
Not clear, are you saying that your machine is the 230V with the 2PH+N wiring. (Makes sense, just making sure. The other machine with those 4 wires would be the 230V 3Ph.)

Then the next question would be what is your supply? I assumed you were in the UK, but there are lots of Newcastles, some in Canada and in US where you might have split phase 230V wiring. I think in UK and in Austrailia you would have what the chart calls 230Vac Ph + N.

Having said that, I do encourage getting a qualified electrician to review your wiring, per the warning on that wiring chart. I would trust myself to wire it for myself, but would not trust the opinion of someone giving free advice on the internet for something like this.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h