Help! Wanted to clean shower screen... but having trouble with reassembly

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
CoffeeCrispR

#1: Post by CoffeeCrispR »

Hey Home Barista!

I own a Lelit Elizabeth and took off the shower screen to clean it (The water dispersion wasn't always great) but with it came the shower head and the little gasket that sits on top. The issue is, I will need to turn this upside down or at least on its side in order to put it back on. Will I need to drain the boilers first to do this? Can you have the machine off but turned upside down with water still in them? Can I do this by putting it on its side instead? I don't want to damage anything.

Any advice would be great! Thank you!

babalu120483

#2: Post by babalu120483 replying to CoffeeCrispR »

Mark,

Are you talking about the red/orange gasket in the picture below?

If it is, there is no need to place the machine on the side. You can very gently push it back on with a chopstick or anything firm into the hole.

Same thing if it's the black gasket you are referring to.

Hope that helps.

CoffeeCrispR (original poster)

#3: Post by CoffeeCrispR (original poster) »

yes! that was it and I just pushed it in! Thank you! Will that be similar for the group head gasket? Do you use any foodsafe lubricants when changing out that gasket? I am thinking of getting a cafelat silicone grouped gasket and replacing the stock rubber one

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

Some suppliers recommend using a food grade grease to lightly lube the gasket seat before installation. I don't remember why, but I suspect it is simply to make things come apart more easily the next time. If leave your machine go without service for too long, often the only way to get a hardened portafilter gasket to come out without wrecking the shower screen is to jack it out with a wood screw. I switched my Magister from rubber portafilter gaskets to silicone...much better!