Help Needed with Izzo Alex Duetto Espresso Maker

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
savagebrood

#1: Post by savagebrood »

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I am having a recurring issue with my Izzo Alex Duetto espresso maker and I'm hoping someone here has experienced something similar or can offer some insight.

Occasionally, the machine will run out of water in the boiler (not the reservoir) and then it won't draw any more water until I turn it off and let it cool down for about 20 minutes. After I turn it back on, it will draw water and work normally again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with this machine or another e61 group machine? If so, were you able to find a solution?

I've tried cleaning the machine thoroughly and making sure there are no obvious blockages, but the problem persists. I'm wondering if it's a sensor issue or something else entirely.

My current way to clear it is to run the hot water or steam wand until it needs to draw water from the reservoir. Then it tries for a few seconds before the alarm sounds. Then I turn it off for 20 minutes and turn back on and voila it works.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Sounds like there is 1 of 2 issues, perhaps both. You didn't specify which boiler was the problem.

I would suggest removing, inspecting and cleaning the steam boiler water level probe. Also verify the function and position of the reservoir magnet's free floating operation and that it's physically close enough to the machine's sensor to operate properly.

You might need to do a complete citric acid descaling.

How's your water quality?

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

savagebrood (original poster)

#3: Post by savagebrood (original poster) »

I think I will take the tank out this weekend and inspect the proximity to the sensor and clean everything well. Beyond that, I may just send it somewhere for service

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

You can also try switching the reservoir low water alarm switch 'OFF" and see if that solves the issue. If it does, you can try holding a magnet right up against the alarm sensor with the alarm switched 'ON'. If that too solves the problem, then either positions the reservoir as close as possible to the sensor or replacing the sensor with a new magnet might solve the problem as well.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"