Help Locating Leak on Breville Dual Boiler (BDB) - Video

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
iploya
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by iploya »

Hi, I replaced several o-rings not too long ago after learning the process on this forum. I don't recall which ones, just the low-hanging fruit I could get to around both boilers. Seems I have a new leak but cannot locate the source of the hissing sound. Can anyone more experienced than me help me pinpoint where it is? This is a video looking all around inside...

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

Does the sound change when you pinch off that hose with all the condensation showing inside? (18 second mark)
Does the sound change when you push or wiggle that thermal sensor? (28 second mark)

Do you have a pair of plastic-framed glasses (real glass lenses, not plastic)? If you look through the glass lenses held really close to any potentially leaking fittings, the condensation on the lens will form a triangle pointing to the leak. Plastic frames so you don't electrocute yourself bumping up against a Breville's un-insulated element connections.

Pressino

#3: Post by Pressino »

Don't know much about the insides of this machine, but in the video @.31s I saw what looks like water on the boiler probe fitting and @.16s there is corrosion and what looks like a bit of moisture on the spring clip holding the tubing (with condensate inside), indicating that there was, at some point, a leak there.
In any case the video doesn't show any obvious leaks for the brief time the pump was running, so you may not have pressurized all the potential leak sites.

Jake_G
Team HB

#4: Post by Jake_G »

iploya wrote:This is a video looking all around inside...
I believe the central port on the steam boiler is your vacuum breaker valve, and 10 to 1, I'd say that's your most likely culprit. You can pull the hose off and remove the valve from the boiler (once it is cold and unplugged!) And replace the O-ring with the same 007 o-ring that is used on the hairpin fittings.

Give that a go and see if you've still got the hissing.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

iploya (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Jake_G wrote:I believe the central port on the steam boiler is your vacuum breaker valve, and 10 to 1, I'd say that's your most likely culprit. You can pull the hose off and remove the valve from the boiler (once it is cold and unplugged!) And replace the O-ring with the same 007 o-ring that is used on the hairpin fittings.
Thanks very much! I am out stuck doing errands but hope to try this tonight.

luvmy40

#6: Post by luvmy40 »

You want to wiggle all the steam lines and do check that center hose off the anti vacuum valve. If the AV valve doesn't seat fully, it'll hiss and pop.

If that's not it, look at the steam boiler fill port on the side of the boiler under the three way solenoid. It is often over looked and the most challenging o-ring to replace.

iploya (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Thanks all -- I took a look at the suggestions and tried the following steps, but no luck yet. I still hear hissing. I tried wiggling all the hoses, and there was no obvious change in sound.

Pressino - I see what you mean @31s. I thought that looked like moisture too, which is why my video circled back to that spot. But on further investigation I think it is probably fine. And @16s I think that is what Jake_G is referring to, that central hose with the spring clip.

JRising - I see what you mean @18s (central hose, also what others pointed to) and @28s, that sensor port.

Jake_G - See photos and please let me know if this is not what you meant. I first removed the spring clip and tried pulling on the hose but it did not want to come off. Leaving the hose on, I was still able to use a wrench and unthread that valve as shown below. The only o-ring I saw was that white one, and it looks to be in good condition. But I replaced it anyway, just to try it. The black one is the new 007. I kept the white one just in case.

I turned the machine off until I come up with something else to try...

Jake_G
Team HB

#8: Post by Jake_G »

Bummer...

Can you decipher where the noise is terminating? It seems it isn't the hose with spring - you tried pinching it as John suggested? Is it gurgling back into the reservoir or the drain tray?
LMWDP #704

iploya (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by iploya (original poster) »

New video, wiggling the hoses. Sounds like a single drop of water on frying pan at 1:15 and 2:25. Cannot locate any visible water but it's obviously in there somewhere...

luvmy40

#10: Post by luvmy40 »

Did you check the steam boiler fill tube?