Help getting a heating element out of the boiler

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Jasper_8137

#1: Post by Jasper_8137 »

Hi all,
I've been trying to remove the heating element from my Izzo steam boiler. It would not budge with the boiler in so I took everything apart, pulled the boiler, but still can't get the element out even with a pipe wrench and hammer. Anyone have any suggestions?

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Would applying heat possibly help?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Jasper_8137 (original poster)

#3: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

I was thinking about that. I have a nozzle that attaches to a small propane tank - I can try gently heating. Any concerns about putting a flame to it?

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Rent or buy an electric impact wrench and it will come loose easy. It needs a 1-1/2" socket if I remember correctly.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#5: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

erics wrote:It needs a 1-1/2" socket if I remember correctly.
I got the socket - it's a 1 7/16". I tried to rent an impact driver but was told it wouldn't have enough torque to get it off and would damage the driver. I figured a hammer would do the trick but I cannot get it to budge.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

It would not damage the driver but that would be difficult to argue with the person behind the counter.

Then take the machine to your favorite mechanic or tire store and have them loosen the "nut" with their ADJUSTABLE impact wrench.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

nick2000

#7: Post by nick2000 »

Would soaking it (or filling the inside of the boiler with) Citrix acid solution help?

#8: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

erics wrote:Then take the machine to your favorite mechanic or tire store and have them loosen the "nut" with their ADJUSTABLE impact wrench.
As it happens, I had an appointment to get my oil changed today so brought the boiler with me. The mechanic got it open without any problem. Amazing how well the air impact driver works!

schwaggy

#9: Post by schwaggy »

Just don't use an impact driver if you're removing a known good element for cleaning...
The impact will likely crack the element. Ask me how I know :x

#10: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

schwaggy wrote:Just don't use an impact driver if you're removing a known good element for cleaning...
The impact will likely crack the element. Ask me how I know :x
Hopefully mine is not cracked! Is there an obvious way to know or only after everything is back together and it won't heat? There was no way that thing was coming off without an impact driver - I was hammering the wrench and it wouldn't budge. Chris coffee recommends removing the heating elements using an impact driver - so hopefully things will be ok.

What started as a simple gasket change has turned into a complete tear down and rebuild. Hopefully I can get the thing back together again!