Help getting a heating element out of the boiler - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ira
Team HB

#11: Post by ira »

schwaggy wrote:Just don't use an impact driver if you're removing a known good element for cleaning...
The impact will likely crack the element. Ask me how I know :x
If it wont move, you might need to use an impact to break it loose. It's not so likely to crack if you stop using the impact as soon as it shows movement or as soon as any other tool can move it. I'd guess it cracked when it moved a bunch when being hit.

Ira

OldNuc

#12: Post by OldNuc »

I suspect that recourse to a good pneumatic impact wrench is what is going to be required. Use a proper deep impact socket that fits properly and the element should survive.

corsair

#13: Post by corsair »

Impact/pneumatic is probably the right way to go. For the sake of others reading this, putting the ~1.5" nut in a vise and then turning the boiler with your hands (or hitting it with a rubber mallet) can work too. Of course if you do that, you have to be careful not to bend the boiler.

Jasper_8137 (original poster)

#14: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

The element came out with ease once we put a pneumatic impact wrench on it. If anyone is reading this and finds themselves in the same situation, I would recommend putting your machine in the car, driving to an auto mechanic, offer them $5-10 to take it off, rather than what I did, which was to take everything apart and bring only the boiler in. Although I'm am now learning a great deal about the inner workings of my machine, it's been a bit of a pain and very time consuming! :P

nick2000

#15: Post by nick2000 »

Glad it worked out! Thank you for the advice