Help! Flow issues After Upgrade!

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Eoin_G

#1: Post by Eoin_G »

Hi,

I have just installed a pressure gauge on my Oscar II. Since installing I've been having odd flow issues. It may not be directly related to the pressure gauge but maybe I messed something else up in the process?

This video shows exactly the same flow as I am now having.
Is it possible air is getting in somewhere? There's no water leaking anywhere.

I'm really confused and would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Eoin

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

I can't hear the machine at all. It's like the video is silent and the music is dubbed over the silence. Not useful at all, or is it supposed to be a game? "Diagnose this without hearing it". I don't see anything wrong, but the gauge that was spoken of isn't included in the video, maybe it is part of the puzzle.
Anyway, if there is anything wrong with it, describe the problem, let us know what's happening when there seems to be something wrong. What I saw in the video is an espresso machine making an espresso. For example, are you getting squelchy noises like there's air in the brew cylinder getting forced through the puck as the cylinder nears the end of its travel? (Like if there were air in there it would be above the liquid line, only noticeable at the end).

Sorry, I'm not noticing the problem. Does the lever move smoothly back to its resting position?

Nevermind. After re-reading the above, I see that you're talking about an Oscar (Not a lever machine) and that the video isn't of your machine.

Perhaps a video of your machine exhibiting the problem, or at least any "pump machine" behaving similarly could help, though a description of the issue would suffice.

Eoin_G (original poster)

#3: Post by Eoin_G (original poster) »

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Apologies, I should have been clearer with my description. The video is just a video I came across online when looking for information, but the flow issue looks exactly the same. Half way through the shot a vortex/bubble forms and the flow turns turbulent. So much so that the stream of espresso starts to arch slightly.

This is making it difficult pull a decent espresso. I've been using the Oscar with great results for 4 years now and I'm currently using my regular beans. The only change has been that I installed a pressure gauge and I assume I messed something up.

Sound wise, everything seems normal. I will record and post a video as soon as I get home from work. The person that posted the video I shared mentioned air being introduced into the system. This makes me feel that somehow I may have done something during the installation of the pressure gauge that may be introducing air into the extraction process. I could be talking nonsense though, I'm just lost as to what the issue may be.

Thanks for having a look and taking the time respond. I'll post a video soon.

Eoin

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

I believe that the bubble formed in the middle of the stream is actually steam (not air but gaseous water) that has gone from liquid to gaseous right there at the basket where the flow passed it's final restriction, did it's final expansion at its last pressure drop becoming equal to atmospheric pressure.
I may be wrong, but I've seen it often on bottomless portafilters for many years. The fact that it tapers down to the flowing espresso and doesn't "pop" leads me to the conclusion that it is re-condensing and flowing as a liquid again as it gets to the cup.

If air were flowing through the system, that stream would be splashing every time a bubble passed through the puck. The air would pass through so much faster it would blow that stream into a splash. Checking/cleaning the basket might help to keep the final pressure drop a little higher, up in the puck.

If anyone out there knows that I'm incorrect regarding it being steam boiling then recondensing, please correct me, tell us what it is.

Eoin_G (original poster)

#5: Post by Eoin_G (original poster) »

Wow, interesting and definitely far beyond any conclusion I could draw myself!

I will try a different basket later and see if the results are any different.

Is there anything that could be causing this to happen? I never noticed it before and have used the same bottomless portafilter and IMS basket for a long time now. Maybe it's just a coincidence that I only notice now after installing the pressure gauge.

Thanks for taking the time to respond with all this info.

Eoin

Eoin_G (original poster)

#6: Post by Eoin_G (original poster) »

OK, so I've had time make some coffee this morning and take a closer look at what's happening. When making my second coffee, the flow stopped completely half way through the shot.

It seems like the HX is emptying and then refilling in cycles. I've made the below video show the issue. There's also a metallic clicking sound at times.
Any help identify what the issue is would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Eoin

Gionnibello

#7: Post by Gionnibello »

Hi Eoin,

I would get in touch with Elektros.it. The guy there is very friendly and willing to help. Once I even send him directly my video of the issue and he solved it in a moment.

I used to have a similar problem on my Oscar 1 and cleaning the solenoid 3 way did the trick.

Hope it helps.
My mum craved espresso while expecting me ... it’s in my genes!!!