Heat control mod for 2nd Generation La Pavoni Levers - Page 10

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
DanoM

#91: Post by DanoM » Apr 12, 2017, 1:42 am

forbeskm wrote:I can say not all groups have the same size hole in the back. I made a plug to fit a group head on a machine that was waiting for its powder coated base. I then tried this in another group, not so good, other group was bigger and I didnt notice it until it didn't work :)

I then made a new one for this machine, temp was steady at 198 versus 220+ before. Nice work Dan!
Glad to be of service. These machines are great once you tame the group temperature range.
LMWDP #445

User avatar
redbone

#92: Post by redbone » Jun 02, 2017, 8:22 pm

Just did the 2nd gen mod on a newly acquired 1980 Europiccola.
Noticed I had to place the stopper in a drill and file down width until I was able to fit it in snug in the group head.
Another point is that the copper tube is prone to some twisting if tightened to hard now that some of it's integrity has been compromised with the cutting of the port.

Soaking parts for cleaning and pre polishing in the background.
Image
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.


Rob
LMWDP #549

DanoM

#93: Post by DanoM » Jun 02, 2017, 8:56 pm

redbone wrote:Just did the 2nd gen mod on a newly acquired 1980 Europiccola.
Noticed I had to place the stopper in a drill and file down width until I was able to fit it in snug in the group head.
Another point is that the copper tube is prone to some twisting if tightened to hard now that some of it's integrity has been compromised with the cutting of the port.
Custom fitting the stopper like that is probably the easiest method. I also put mine in a drill and filed away at it.

For my setup the copper tube is a snug fit in the stopper, but not tight, so it's not been prone to any twisting at all. If you cut the port too deep you might experience that too. You only need an opening port that is equal to the opening on the end of the tube, which means it's pretty small. Any larger and there's really no benefit since the tube is the limiter of water flow.
LMWDP #445

User avatar
redbone

#94: Post by redbone » Jun 02, 2017, 9:22 pm

Thanks for the quick input.
I used a rotary tool to make an opening but will use a small metal drill bit if ever attempting again.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.


Rob
LMWDP #549

Miriel

#95: Post by Miriel » Jun 10, 2017, 9:52 am

DanoM, thank you so much!
I performed your mod today and finally the last big problem of the Pavoni is solved. After Gabor invented the piston pressure gauge, the overheating was the only huge problem left. Now my Pavoni is perfectly temperatur stable, I can do precise pressure profiling and produce espresso shots that can easily compete with high-end machines. Who needs a La Marzocco GS/3 after this? :lol:

Bob_M

#96: Post by Bob_M » Jun 10, 2017, 10:42 am

Miriel wrote: Who needs a La Marzocco GS/3 after this? :lol:
You are so right !!

DanoM

#97: Post by DanoM » Jun 10, 2017, 2:16 pm

Miriel wrote:DanoM, thank you so much!
I performed your mod today and finally the last big problem of the Pavoni is solved. After Gabor invented the piston pressure gauge, the overheating was the only huge problem left. Now my Pavoni is perfectly temperatur stable, I can do precise pressure profiling and produce espresso shots that can easily compete with high-end machines. Who needs a La Marzocco GS/3 after this? :lol:
It is a pretty good machine for back to back shots if you tame the heat just a bit. I've pulled shots on my La Pavoni that came close to a Synesso Hydra using the same beans. Enjoy your new mods!
LMWDP #445

Tonefish

#98: Post by Tonefish » Sep 09, 2017, 8:25 pm

Just finished the conversion and wanted to say thanks to Dan and Mike for working this through, sharing what you learned, and getting me going on this. Did a couple test runs and all is well. Thanks Again!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

User avatar
redbone

#99: Post by redbone » Sep 25, 2017, 10:33 am

Just an F.Y.I. here. I made the inlet hole cut too large and noticed that I was not getting decent pressure or tension in hand when pulling shot.
Also too large a port weakens the tube when tightening back on group. Easy fix, just replaced copper tube (in transit).
Will try 2-3mm port vs 5mm next go around.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.


Rob
LMWDP #549

User avatar
redbone

#100: Post by redbone » Sep 27, 2017, 5:39 pm

I've been testing the mod but finding I'm getting sponginess at the end of the pull.
Also taking longer than other LPE post shot before I can safely remove porta filter.
Anyone else finding this issue. Any clues as to the cause of the issue welcomed.
Had a few messy PF sneezes. Have in transit a new tube in case I need to revert back to oem.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.


Rob
LMWDP #549