Have I killed my Cremina? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
DavidGinNYC (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by DavidGinNYC (original poster) »

mdmvrockford wrote:Good to hear. As former Olympia Cremina (1990) owner, I can vouch they are hard to kill.

You mentioned home grinder in OP (your profile does not mention equipment). Assuming it is aligned, Titan-level grinder (and something as ''low end" :roll: as Pharos or Alicorned Baratza Vario meet these description), with great beans as we know the Cremina will rival any espresso brewer w.r.t. in-the-cup.
Thanks! I'm using a Ceado E37s. Not the highest end grinder but I've got it dialed in well. And I prefer medium-dark roasts for a more "traditional" Italian-style espresso, and it does well for the beans I use. My daily driver is Cafe Lusso's GMC (Gran Miscela Carmo). I have to admit that from time to time I eye the Linea Mini, but I think the only mahine I'd buy right now if I had to replace my Cremina is....another Cremina.

mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by mdmvrockford »

DavidGinNYC wrote:I'm using a Ceado E37s. Not the highest end grinder but I've got it dialed in well.....I have to admit that from time to time I eye the Linea Mini, but I think the only machine I'd buy right now if I had to replace my Cremina is....another Cremina.
(Sarcarsm on) Ceado E37s such a pedestrian non-Titan level grinder(Sarcarsm off). I think you have found out (if not I will tell here being to many home-barista get togethers where highest end equipment available), even people with most-refined palate will struggle to find espresso brewer that exceed the Cremina. And the Cremina produces in-the-cup excellence with ease/little fuss.

Many on home-barista.com say car analogy is not appropriate. I would disagree :wink: Cremina is your manual-transmission, non-electronic-direct steering, naturally-aspirated engine with minimal electronics automobile. Many automobile drivers not like this. Purists love it.

Non-solicited advice: IIWY, I would never get rid of the Cremina. If upgraditits hits (e.g. your eyeing LMLM) I would always keep a Cremina in your quiver as a manual lever. I gifted my Cremina (daily driver espresso brewer; used it to steam milk <5 times in 6 years) to my Son. I cannot responsibly afford a brand-new Cremina. And I was not willing to go on hunt for quality used Cremina and then modify it back to what I had. Useful mods were naked-portafilter's pressure gauge piston rod, bottomless portafilter, Teflon gasket, "cannonfodder" custom wood handles (which increased diameter of handles vs. OEM polymer hammer). So my easier-to-obtain and much cheaper replacement manual lever (w/o need to steam milk) is Cafelat Robot barista. Now I am eyeing Portaspresso HC-P for briefcase -compatible espresso brewer and tank-like build. Robot and HC-P MSRP price is less than my former modded Cremina. Of course workflow of each differs.

IMO and reading Home-barista.com, the only electric manual lever espresso brewer in term of little fuss is the Streitman CT1 and CT2. Streitmans cannot steam milk though. That is what I am eyeing after paying for life's other responsibilities (e.g. child's college).
LMWDP #568

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by LBIespresso »

mdmvrockford wrote: IMO and reading Home-barista.com, the only electric manual lever espresso brewer in term of little fuss is the Streitman CT1 and CT2. Streitmans cannot steam milk though. That is what I am eyeing after paying for life's other responsibilities (e.g. child's college).
I have both a CT2 and a Cremina. The Cremina was my first machine and I love it. It taught me more about espresso than I ever thought there was to learn. The Cremina plus Gabor's pressure gauge that is.

The CT2 for reasons that I do not understand, consistently pulls better shots. Never even had a sink shot from it. It is a work of art (literally) and I hesitated about getting the pressure gauge as I didn't want to change the look. In the end I found it isn't even necessary. Arguably only true for me with all that I have learned from my Cremina.

I agree, the Cremina is a keeper and has some use cases where it beats the CT2 like steaming and many back to back shots. But you should feel confident that you will be happy if you decide to buy the CT2.
LMWDP #580

mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by mdmvrockford »

My prior post should have added word "other" and corrected full statement is below

IMO and reading Home-barista.com, the only other electric manual lever espresso brewer in term of little fuss is the Streitman CT1 and CT2. Streitmans cannot steam milk though. That is what I am eyeing after paying for life's other responsibilities (e.g. child's college).
LMWDP #568