Handmade coffeemachine - Page 9

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Zadrot (original poster)

#81: Post by Zadrot (original poster) »

When I made small steam boiler, it worked too bad. I got very wet steam, so when I steamed 200ml of milk, the weight increased up to 50 ml. The worst thing I've ever seen.
I replaced 140mm water probe to 150mm and get +40 ml. The result did not impressed me...
I did not find longer water probe. So, I took round shaft of stainless steel (200mm long) and installed it instead of water level sensor. I got very dry steam. It adds only 15 gramms to 200ml pitcher when I prepare milk.

Zadrot (original poster)

#82: Post by Zadrot (original poster) »

Is's nothing to show, but I am still working on my project.
I have made "smart scales" algorythm. Is is simple: when you add or remove more than 10 grams on the drip tray, scales ignore this weight and preduct the weight (just add previous difference). So, you can switch on the process of making coffee, scales tare (or untare), then put the cup on the drip tray and scales will ignore the weight of the cup, then put plate under the cup and scales will predict weight. This function is not necessary, but I did it. It works, but it is not sharp.

Unfortunatelly, when I wrote about my work, about my others projects and about my ideas to the factories (for example in Spain), they do not want me to work with them.

Zadrot (original poster)

#83: Post by Zadrot (original poster) »

I have tested my machine for last 3 monthes and sometimes it was errors with pressure and temperature.
Finally I have found the reason: the heater element insulation failure. Now I need to change it, but it will be very hard because the case I designed do not allow me to do it.
So I need to disassemble.

Zadrot (original poster)

#84: Post by Zadrot (original poster) »

I have fixed the heater.
Would you like to have a look? It's a terrible thing:

Why did it happen? I think, the heater was too big (90% of boiler's height) and too powerful(1500 W) inside the little boiler and the water started to boil and steam emitted. So, the water level has dropped and a little part of the heater was upside the water, so it has crashed.
I changed it to a smaller (700W and 100mm length) heater.

borrik

#85: Post by borrik »

Yeah it looks like it should be positioned as low as possible to make sure that it wont be exposed... Is the machine grounded?

Zadrot (original poster)

#86: Post by Zadrot (original poster) »

It will be a good experience for me. I supposed that brew boiler always contain 100% of water and no steam/air/gas.
borrik wrote:Is the machine grounded?
Of course! I am afraid of electricity. The resistance between boiler and the wire (sorry, I can not describe in english as well) was only 10 Ohms!!!

borrik

#87: Post by borrik »

Zadrot wrote:It will be a good experience for me. I supposed that brew boiler always contain 100% of water and no steam/air/gas.

Of course! I am afraid of electricity. The resistance between boiler and the wire (sorry, I can not describe in english as well) was only 10 Ohms!!!
Another worrying point is that some amount of filler came out from the cracked heater and settled somewhere in the boiler or brewing contour...

Zadrot (original poster)

#88: Post by Zadrot (original poster) »

Don't worry, I cleaned the boiler inside and read about that filler. It is a silica sand (SiO2) and can be dangerous when you inhale it, not for digestive organs.

Zadrot (original poster)

#89: Post by Zadrot (original poster) »

I started to make other user interface