Grindmaster 890 lid missing

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Almico

#1: Post by Almico »

I was planning on bringing my 890 to the new coffee bar as a retail grinder for bean buying customers that haven't gone down the grinder rabbit hole yet. When I purchased it used, it did not have a lid. It wasn't big deal up until now.

I emailed Grindmaster and the lid is pt# 83426TK and costs $274. Yes...$274. Ouch. I spent $300 on the whole grinder. Now I know why.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions from anyone that has wrangled a lid on their 8 series grinder. I can make a beautiful lid from olive wood, but it needs to be retain friendly and probably hinged somehow. I'll post a pic this evening.

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE replying to Almico »

It doesnt even need a lid, unless for safety sake of course. I use mine every morning with the lid up though.

How about a paper plate!? :)
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Almico (original poster)

#3: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Yeah, but it's going out front in the self-serve area and I'm sure the BoH won't care for a dust collecting hopper.

I found another 890 nearby for $300. I'm picking it up tomorrow. Couldn't hurt to have a back up. I'll put that one up front and keep mine in the roastery for when I have to ship ground bags.

boost

#4: Post by boost »

Wow that's even more $$$$ than Mahlkonig parts, and I thought their $140 hopper is way overpriced.
BTW does the 890 grinds fine enough for espresso?

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

The rectangular lid on top that looks lid the cover of an old, metal cracker tin? Any metal works should be able to make one for under $100. Painted. A trade school or even metal shop at a high school is another choice.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Almico (original poster)

#6: Post by Almico (original poster) »

boost wrote:BTW does the 890 grinds fine enough for espresso?
Yes and no. I've pulled a few 30 second 2:1 shots off it, but there really is no dialing it in. It's very hit and miss. I don't think the burr transport is solid enough. But I have no data to back that up.
Randy G. wrote:The rectangular lid on top that looks lid the cover of an old, metal cracker tin? Any metal works should be able to make one for under $100. Painted. A trade school or even metal shop at a high school is another choice.
I called back and there seems to be a lid kit than includes the bi-fold lid, but not the upper cap. It's only $158!

We'll see. I'm going to look at the other one this evening.

Almico (original poster)

#7: Post by Almico (original poster) »

I passed on the other 890. It was not quite as "pristine" as I was led to believe.

Depending upon the set up, maybe I'll use the R120 as a retail grinder as well as my brew grinder.