Grimac La Valentina not heating

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Veldkijker

#1: Post by Veldkijker »

In 2007 or 2008 I bought a demo-model Grimac La Valentina. (Very nice machine.) Recently I changed the "pre-filter" in the water tank, because I noticed that the pump was a bit noisy. (Before, it was working perfect, except for the noisy pump. The pre-filter was overdue.)
After changing the pump works perfect and is less noisy, but for some reason the espresso machine stopped heating. The green light does not come on any more. All the rest is working fine...
I read something about a "tripped" switch, but cannot figure out which part this could be.
Please help. Thanks, Willem

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Threads like "espresso machine not heating" call out the usual suspects (pressurestat, high temperature switch, heating element, controller). But since you've had it opened and replaced parts, I would start by double-checking my work (with the machine unplugged, of course).

I looked in the parts diagram and don't see a over-temperature switch. If there was one, it'd be located on top of the boiler.

Dan Kehn

Veldkijker (original poster)

#3: Post by Veldkijker (original poster) »

Hi Dan,

Thanks,
I solved the problem. Checking everything again did not solve it, but google gave me some interesting options for testing some possible solutions. This solved it in the end.
So what happended: the machine was not heating up. The "green light" was not lighting up. Everything else was working properly. As you pointed out, it has no over-temperature switch, so resetting was not an option.
Following one of the tricks on google I opened the steampipe and waited... After 15 minutes or so the green light suddenly came to life... but died again... Again, waiting... And after a while the boiler started to make soft sounds as if the heating had started. And indeed it did.
I checked everything afterwards again and reassembled everything. Since that day the La Valantine has been working properly again without issues.

Thanks,

Willem