Gasket removal tool

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
BaristaMcBob

#1: Post by BaristaMcBob »

I'm sure this has been discussed - but I could not find a relevant post.

Can someone please recommend a good brew group gasket removal tool? I've been using an awl and screwdriver, but that seems wrong - especially working near such beautifully polished SS.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I use a "dental pick" that I probably bought off eBa-zon for cleaning PCBs after soldering.

A super-fine one probably can't get enough leverage. One place where "cheaper" is potentially better.

cafeIKE
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

The Puly Lifty works pretty well unless the gasket is baked in place.
CafeLat silicone gaskets are a breeze to get out.

The tool works best by levering the shower screen down within the PF 'ear' cutouts.
Keep the tool pointing to the group center as the corners will bend if misaligned.
The screen may get a bit scratched, but it does not affect its performance.

AssafL

#4: Post by AssafL »

I used a wood screw I screwed into the grommet a few times. A chip puller (a bent wedge) also works.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by pizzaman383 »

I use a paint can opener.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”
★ Helpful

NSespresso

#6: Post by NSespresso »

I've used just a normal screw with a slightly blunt head and worked great with no damage

Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Bmccall »

BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

cafeIKE wrote:The tool works best by levering the shower screen down within the PF 'ear' cutouts.
Keep the tool pointing to the group center as the corners will bend if misaligned.
The screen may get a bit scratched, but it does not affect its performance.
Bottle opener with can lid opener at opposite end exactly as described above with the prying end seated within the ridge of the shower screen.

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Nunas »

When you put it back together after servicing, put a light coat of food-grade lube on the portafilter gasket. This makes it come out more easily the next time. I do this every time.

CSME9

#10: Post by CSME9 »

A small table spoon works just fine, with the bent portion facing up, tip against the shower screen and pry out against group edge while pushing up.