Gaggia Tell restoration - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
spyderxxx

#11: Post by spyderxxx »

Try citric acid bath. The boiler Lyndon and I are restoring came very clean. It was in for about 48 hours. I used 2 small handfuls in 5 gallons of water. here's a link

Two Group Gaggia Orione rebuild

Hope this helps

Ed

Carneiro (original poster)

#12: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Thanks a lot Ed, I was reading all the Gaggia's threads but I missed this new update of yours.

The boiler of the machine you're restoring is very similar to mine - where there was water the scaling removed the coating, the upper part was dark grey and the outside was not so dark but stained etc.

I think I'll close the threads and fill the boiler with citric acid to keep it for some hours, maybe using the heat elements (no pressure, of course). I would have to adapt some seal on the plate and elements or keep the boiler with the opening up, but the problem is how to close the boiler to grup neck.

Márcio.

Advertisement
spyderxxx

#13: Post by spyderxxx »

Just put the whole boiler into a 5 gallon bucket. Flipped it end over end after 24 hours.

Ed

KnowGood

#14: Post by KnowGood »

I'm pretty sure this model is actually a Gaggia Tell, which may explain why some things seem different - like the frame, knobs, and boiler.
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

#15: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Oops, I think you're right. The post from Mike can support that too.

Maybe I should rename the thread to Gaggia Tell restoration? :mrgreen:

Márcio.

#16: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

BTW, I kinda like the differences of panels and knobs, but in fact the older Orione is more charming and the 80's Gaggia España machines are fantastic in design, both with the older group and "newer" Italcrem group (Faema based if I'm not mistaken, right?). I think there was one at eBay some time ago, around Colorado.

#17: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

The boiler plate after some work:

It was reasonable easy to remove the studs. No need to drill and tap. Inside the boiler:

I need to use citric acid again. I found a company that can do a electroless nickel plating but they can't remove the tin coat. I have to decide about it... I think the dark grey inside the boiler is copper oxide, not any coating.

Márcio.

Advertisement

#18: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Crap!

I wonder if the crack was there or if the removal of the coating did that. Or both. I was trying a hydrotastic test and of couse this little crack spits water like crazy.

Márcio.

TomC
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC »

Dang! Is there someone in your region who could repair that?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#20: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

I have to find someone, but probably yes, I'm in São Paulo, this is such a huge city...

The ex-owner of this machine loves to weld stainless steel at home (he imports Marzocco here) and he's good, I just have to convince him to do this. :mrgreen: