Gaggia Spagna 1953 - Info & Restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
eumemo

#1: Post by eumemo »

Hi Everybody.
I've recently acquired a 1953 Gaggia Spagna.
It is in reasonably good condition and I intend to restore it.

So far I've found very little information about this model. From what I could tell it uses the same lever group as other Gaggias from the same time period but has a different body and boiler.

The machine came with all the wiring missing except for the neon connection on the back. I'm looking for information about the wiring on this machine. It seems to be a pretty simple setup. There are 2 heating elements (one 1000W and one 500W), there is no pressure or mercury valve but only a wobbler weight. Does anybody know how they originally wired this? Was a simple 3 way switch used, or two separate switches being one for each heating element? Does anybody have any idea of what the original switches looked like?

The driptray is also missing. I imagine it will be nearly impossible to find a spare one of these so I'm considering having one made. I've seen pictures of different versions of these online. If anybody knows the specific dimensions or can provide detailed pictures, it would help quiet allot.

I'm also in doubt about the bottom left tap. I imagine it is a hot water tap, but if that was the case I would expect the exit to be on the outer side so that the hot water nozzle wouldn't have to curve around the tap itself but that's not the case. I've also heard that it could have been a connection to an external pressure switch, but it sound unlikely to me. Can anybody confirm for what is it for?

Finally the machine also came with no portafilter. Will any modern Gaggia commercial portafilter work? Does anybody have pictures of the original portafilter?

That covers about all my major questions for the time being, however any other information, picture or anything else related to this model will be greatly appreciated.

Bellow follows some initial pictures.
I'll post all new developments and steps of the restauration here.

Thanks.

Advertisement
OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

You should post the serial numbers and date into this thread to increase the early machine data. Dating vintage espresso machines [ANCC, Serial] That is a nice looking find!

Pressure control is by running on the low wattage element and allow the relief to determine maximum pressure. Do you have the drip tray and other parts not shown?

Beaniac

#3: Post by Beaniac »

That is one big plate of crumbly asbestos you've got there :shock:

Stunning machine though, must be very nice to restore.

OldAndBigTr3E

#4: Post by OldAndBigTr3E »

GREAT FIND! :mrgreen:
LMWDP#587. Pull the lever to claim your prize.

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

Nice project, always liked that form factor. It does appear that someone has started a restore on it at some time. Besides the missing parts, the brass colored valves, plumbing bits, etc., should be chrome.

There may have not been a switch originally. Many of these older commercial machines were wired directly into the mains. The sight glass is missing and the fixtures for it and the hot water valve are not oriented correctly. As you surmised, the fitting for the water wand would be pointing toward the side.

Dr. Maltoni has some good pics of that model - http://www.espressomadeinitaly.com/gall ... llery=8271. Another good source for info and possible parts is Paul Pratt, a regular here. http://espresso-restorations.com. Check out his various threads for lots of tidbits regarding restoration work.

Good luck and have fun
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

eumemo (original poster)

#6: Post by eumemo (original poster) »

Hey guys.
Thanks for the feedback.

The wobbler weight is still covering the serial number partially, but as soon as I disassemble it I'll post thhe number on the suggested thread.

The abestos plate is something I'm taking great care with and will dispose of it properlly.

The front brass parts look like they used to be chromed. You can still see som traces of it. I'll be re-chroming those as well some of the parts from the group.

I've openned up the boiler and was able to remove all the screws whole. The boiler is in great shape. The heating elements look pretty good as well but haven't teste them yet.

Do you think there may have been no switch at all? Separate wiring for each of the heating elements and you would move from one heating element to another by changing what's was plugged in ?

The sight glass is not a problem, I can find a compatible one in a glass store nearby. Orienting the valve correctly is also not a problem, however, there is no possible adjustment that places the water wand outward. I've found some pictures of this or similar models with the water wand connected to the inner side but still not sure of the exact layout of the wand.

OldNuc

#7: Post by OldNuc »

You will have to look at lots of pictures to see how the switches were installed, the wiring is easy. Usually a 4 position switch where only 2 positions are used along with off, low wattage element only, both elements, and off. They were mounted under the drip tray. Electrical safety was dealt with in a rather haphazard caviler manner back then.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

Just to make things interesting, someone at Gaggia was seeing double. At about the same time they made a Gaggia Spagna home lever.

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Macch ... na_eng.htm
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

eumemo (original poster)

#9: Post by eumemo (original poster) »

I've heard abou this machine as well. It seems they really did name two separate machines with the same name. I think this was discussed in another thread in here in HB:
Lever Espresso Machine Gallery

OldNuc

#10: Post by OldNuc »

I thought I remembered there was a naming issue here.