Gaggia group frankenlever, few questions.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Nbudor

#1: Post by Nbudor » Jan 15, 2020, 8:48 am

As a Christmas gift to myself I bought an old Gaggia GX (I guess) group off of Ebay, which I plan to build into a machine to replace my pre-millenium Europiccola. Pictures:
Now, the problem is, what kind of a boiler can I use in absence of the original thing?
I have at my disposal 2 HX boilers and a smaller (1,8 liter) brew boiler, all cannibalised from other machines, the problem being that none of the aforementioned boilers have a flange to fit a Gaggia group. Do I Ignore this fact and simply connect dipper tube to boiler or do I have to adapt a boiler with a flange to fit the group?

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by pizzaman383 » Jan 15, 2020, 9:01 am

If you look at the open source lever threads you will see some options. Basically, you can mount the group to a plate heated by cartridge heaters and feed the group from any boiler through a fitting attached to the group head's dipper tube inlet.

I think this method gives some advantages and it is similar to what the Strega does.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

Nbudor

#3: Post by Nbudor » Jan 16, 2020, 8:54 am

Here are the boiler candidates:

I think option 1 is more likely as I think a heat exchanger would complicate things.