Gaggia Classic not working after multiple decalcifications

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ladygeek

#1: Post by ladygeek »

I have owned a Gaggia Classic for about 3-4 years. For much of that time, it has been used almost daily, and more recently, sometimes twice daily when my husband also wants to make a drink.

I have decalcified it on an as needed basis, when I notice the espresso isn't running out as well, usually every 3-6 months or so. Historically, I have used the Durgol Swiss espresso machine decalcifier. Recently, I tried a powder based one which was much less expensive than the Durgol. From what I remember, the first treatment or two seemed to work for the expected amount of time, but then I noticed I was needing to descale it much more frequently - treatments lasting a month, then a couple weeks. I went back to the Durgol, and my most recent treatment took a couple minutes of running the machine before any fluid started running through, and only lasted for two pulls before it went back to being clogged again.

I am wondering if, first of all, I can try anything else to save my current machine before ordering a new one. If it's likely my machine is toast, it possible my maintenance history (not descaling until needed) or trying the powder decalcifier could have lead to its demise? Is this an expected lifespan for a Gaggia Classic? I have also used (filtered) kitchen sink water in the machine, which I'm not sure goes though the water softener.

Thanks!

kolu

#2: Post by kolu »

could easily be just clogged 3 way valve... if you run the pump and open steam wand, does it pump out water (like constantly, not just the first splash with air)? can you hear the 3 way valve "click" when you try to make espresso? almost everything could be fixed, if you know how and find out what is broken/blocked.

happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

I agree about the 3 way valve.

You need to backflush your classic regularly to clean out your valve. This means using a clean portafilter with a blocking disc or silicone muffin cup and running a brew. Clean water gets trapped into the portafilter under pressure and when you stop the shot the clean water is sucked back through the valve to clean it out.

At this point you may need to remove and clean your valve/solenoid. There are plenty of instructions on that on the web.

It's easy to do and would probably only take a half hour of your time.
LMWDP #603

Thombri7

#4: Post by Thombri7 »

Well, I would like to jump in on this as its a recent thread. I already have a working Gaggia Classic which we bought new around 2012 or so. We were able to descale that successfully and get it working again.

However, I bought a used non-working 2012 Gaggia Classic about three months ago (it was sold as non-working or parts). Basically no flow from brew head (whatever), but water is being pumped fine from the OPV back to the tank (when brewing switch on).

I have descaled the machine several times (complete strip down, and it was bad), replaced O rings and seals, replaced the pump, swapped out the solenoid for my working one (no change), completely stripped and cleaned the OPV, done blind adjustments to it (now set at 4.25 turns anticlockwise from fully closed - like my working one). Still no change!!! Left off the shower screen, backflushed (once). - I am now extremely intimate with this machine. I don't want to scrap it, but I am foxed as to what is wrong with it. I have looked at all the forums and they all say the same - clean and descale, which I have now done multiple times). Am I going crazy, have I missed something crucial? :-)

Jake_G
Team HB

#5: Post by Jake_G »

Remember that when you have no flow through the group, backflushing is impossible. It would be the right way to restore diminished flow, but with zero flow, you have to try a different approach.

I would recommend removing the 3 way valve and verify that the pump is sending water out of the boiler. If it is, the issue is either in the valve, or in the passage between the valve and the group. Giving the valve a good soak in a hot bath of espresso detergent/vinegar/citric acid (Gaggia often uses aluminum boilers, so make sure your cleaner of choice is aluminum-friendly for work on the boiler) and verify water flows through all the passages in the valve.

If you have clogged passages from the boiler or to the group (you probably do), I've had success up-ending the machine and working some cleaning solution into the passageways with a toothpick. A few minutes spent working the solution into the passageways should break you through in all but the worst scale buildup. Worse case scenario is to crack open the boiler and soak the group portion on the same hot aluminum-friendly descaling solution. With the boiler split, it should be apparent when the brew path is cleared of scale and water is flowing through all the relevant ports.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

kolu

#6: Post by kolu »

+1

that's exactly what I meant by "clogged 3 way valve".

ladygeek (original poster)

#7: Post by ladygeek (original poster) »

I was able to take a closer look at the problem tonight. Yes - hot water is flowing freely out of the steam wand with the boiler turned on and the steam knob open. I also noticed that, when turned on and clogged, water seems to be flowing freely through the tube that goes back to the tank.

I started by taking off the shower screen and metal cover underneath it, and gave both of them (and the exposed group underneath it) a thorough cleaning. When I ran the machine, water dripped of the small pinhole very slowly, so the clog seems to be before this point (in the group head?) I then ran one more descaling treatment through the machine, and eventually got the clog to break and water to flow freely from the small hole. At this point, I left the descaling solution in the machine for a half hour before flushing the rest of it through, something I have never tried. The machine seems to be working fine so far, but don't know how long this treatment will last. If I end up with the same problem again, I'm assuming I should try removing and cleaning the group?

I have never backflushed my machine before, but it sounds like I need to solve the clogging problem before trying that. I did order a backflush disc and cafiza for whenever I get to that point.

Thanks for the advice so far.

happycat

#8: Post by happycat »

The key advice to follow is to remove and clean the 3 way valve

Exact issue
https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.p ... is-blocked
https://wiki.wholelattelove.com/images/ ... eaning.pdf

Generic tear down guide
http://protofusion.org/wordpress/2012/0 ... -cleaning/

It's pretty easy to do if you take your time step by step.

I recommend labelling wires and taking pictures as you go.
LMWDP #603

ladygeek (original poster)

#9: Post by ladygeek (original poster) »

Thanks for the links to the instructions. I had seen some instructions on disassembly of the Gaggia Classic, but nothing that detailed for just the valve.

I followed the directions, removing and taking apart the valve, scrubbed it down with cafiza, soaked the parts in decalcifier before putting it back together. The valve was somewhat dirty with coffee residue, but not as bad as shown in the photo and not obviously clogged. I also descaled the water resivoir and tubing with vinegar, as they had visible mineral deposits - just in case the buildup was flaking off and repeatedly clogging the machine. I then filled it with distilled water, and put the machine back together.

I'm happy to report that water immediately started flowing smoothly through the machine, more cleanly than it has in a very long time. Time will tell, but it seemed that giving the valve a deep clean may have done the trick.

One more question. After I verified that the machine was working again, I tried a backflush with the new disc I purchased (without cafiza - just water). The machine initially leaked some water from the brew head, then nothing, after running it for 45 seconds or so. There appears to be no internal leaking of any kind. Do I need to run it longer, does the brew basket need to be inserted more tightly, or any other ideas?

Thanks again for all the advice!

happycat

#10: Post by happycat replying to ladygeek »

I don't entirely understand the description.

I use a silicone muffin cup in the portafilter basket and lock the portafilter in. I run a brew and listen to the pump. When it makes the sound of being under pressure (about 5 seconds?) I switch off the machine and the water in the portafilter comes gushing out the exhaust pipe into the drip tray (meaning it cleaned out the 3 way valve)

If your portafilter is leaking from the top it is not locked in. If it is leaking from the spout the disc isn't working.
LMWDP #603