Gaggia Classic no water flow

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
samveness

#1: Post by samveness »

Hey, my Gaggia classic is suddenly producing next to no water from the group head. I get a full stream of water when brew button is on and steam valve open. I've read this hopefully eliminates it being the pump? I've tried a descale with the whole switch the brew button on and off etc to dislodge any scale from the solenoid valve and no luck. I've taken the solenoid off and manually cleaned it and still very little water flow.

Any pointers of what to try next would be appreciated!

Many thanks.

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

samveness (original poster)

#3: Post by samveness (original poster) »

Unfortunately I've had a look through and can't see them relating to the brew valve. Would you mind explaining how to unblock it? Many thanks!

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

The very first post was "Solved" with the exact discovery that I assume your machine is suffering from.

Water obviously flows to and through the boiler to the steam valve and wand, but can't exit through the brew valve. It's probably easiest to take the whole boiler out of the machine, and take the brew valve off the side outside of the machine, but I know it can be done with the boiler in place if you have the right allen keys.

samveness (original poster)

#5: Post by samveness (original poster) »

I've just tried the pin trick in the valve but still no luck. I've just noticed that the return tube is putting out a lot of water. Is this normal?

JRising
Team HB

#6: Post by JRising replying to samveness »

Yes. The water has to go somewhere if the pump isn't dying. That's the only route it can take if the brew valve is clogged and the steam valve is closed... So, good news. Your pump is in good shape.

You may have to take the valve completely apart and poke at it through from the inside as well. With the valve separated from the boiler, you should be able to prove that the side without the tiny orifice is open by blowing through the top (Where the hose going down to drip tray connects). The air will come out of the port without the small orifice. (Or with the valve on the boiler, that air will come out of the grouphead).