Food safe adhesive

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JJ La Moore

#1: Post by JJ La Moore »

Hey all,

Two of the little magnets in my Decent dosing funnel came out after the first week of use. A quick Google search tells me this is a common problem with many magnetized dosing rings. Not a big deal, but if I can find an easy-to-use food safe glue that will effectively bind metal, I'd like to try sticking them back in. There's a bit of conflicting information online about which glues are food safe and which aren't, and it's not always clear which options work well on metal. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ken5

#2: Post by Ken5 »

Did you contact Decent? I can't imagine they would not take care of this, especially after just one week.

I have a Kinu Classic hand grinder and a while ago there was some talk about the magnets popping out, have not read anything about it in a while. Perhaps it was just a bad batch? Just be careful if you glue them back yourself in that you put the correct amount of glue. The kinu has 11 magnets and someone said that when they glued the loose magnet back in the cup was not like it was, my 'guess' was that the re-glued magnet was higher than the others.

Advertisement
okmed

#3: Post by okmed »

Ken5 wrote:Did you contact Decent? I can't imagine they would not take care of this, especially after just one week.

I have a Kinu Classic hand grinder and a while ago there was some talk about the magnets popping out, have not read anything about it in a while. Perhaps it was just a bad batch? Just be careful if you glue them back yourself in that you put the correct amount of glue. The kinu has 11 magnets and someone said that they glued loose magnet back in and the cup was not like it was, my 'guess' was that the re-glued magnet(s) were higher than the others.
Or they reversed the polarity when they glued them back in.

JJ La Moore (original poster)

#4: Post by JJ La Moore (original poster) »

I contacted them straight away. I mentioned that I haven't dropped the funnel or tapped it down especially hard on any surface.

This was the response.

"The magnets shouldn't really pop out. But also, NOT tapping with the funnel on should help avoid such things.

You can just pop the magnets back in. Maybe could also try glueing with a food safe glue.

I am happy to send you a replacement funnel with whatever you order next. Just let me know once you make your next order (before you pay!), and I'll add a replacement funnel for free."

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

Super Glue.? One drop in the cavity, press is magnet. They fit flush, do they not?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

jpender

#6: Post by jpender »

Super Glue isn't food safe.

While I personally wouldn't sweat a tiny amount of Super Glue or JB Weld in a application like this you can buy food safe two-part epoxies on Amazon.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Pressino »

It may not be considered "food safe" but after it is allowed to cure fully, it is considered non-toxic to humans and ought to be just fine in this application, which doesn't require resistance to cleaning in a dishwasher. I think a lot of people think that "cyanoacrylate" is the same as "cyanide." Except for some people who may have a contact allergy to it, most formulations of cyanoacrylate glue are non-toxic. It can also be easily applied in very tiny quantities, which could be a problem for the more viscous 2-part epoxies that can be messy.

Advertisement
jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

Good point. Super glue is also a lot less expensive than an FDA food safe epoxy.

rmongiovi

#9: Post by rmongiovi »

Google cyanoacrylate gastric ulcer. If they can spray the stuff right on to an ulcer inside your intestine I'm pretty sure that's about as "food safe" as you can get. If I recall correctly, the only issue with the stuff is that it generates heat as it cures so they use a version that minimizes the temperature. In any case, once it's cured I wouldn't worry about it at all.

The thing to worry about is that once you've glued that magnet back in it's going to be in there to stay so make absolutely sure you've got the polarity right. Just like when you're dating, repulsion when you're hoping for attraction is a real bummer.

Marcelnl

#10: Post by Marcelnl replying to rmongiovi »

plus one on that, super glue is also used to glue wounds. I would not worry about using it for this purpose.
LMWDP #483