Fixing relief valve leaks / very good replacement OPV

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
lennoncs

#1: Post by lennoncs »

The pressure relief valve on my Brewtus has been leaking constantly due to being exposed to 20psi line pressure all the time (plumbed in).

That issue is now fixed.

I wouldn't post something like this except for the side effect that this relief valve can be used as a very repeatable OPV for those who have a vibe pump and want good pressure control.

Swagelok Model# SS-RL3M4-F4 (Stainless part)

Sean

denniskeating

#2: Post by denniskeating »

Sean,
I have been debating plumbing in my Brewtus. I would probably upgrade to a rotary pump w/motor at the same time. The over pressure relief valve would still be required in the system, correct?
Are there any other Swagelok parts needed? I would appreciate more description for my pea-brain.
Thanks, Dennis Keating

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Hi Sean -

I'm applying the Brewtus OPV to Silvia - hopefullly tomorrow when my 1/4 to 1/8 BSPP nipple arrives. Your OPV write-up on the Brewtus User's Group site was really well done and showed a nicely constructed/easily adjustable valve IMO. Hope you got the Swagelok valve at a good price.

What method did you/do you use when adjusting the OPV?

Eric S.

AndyS

#4: Post by AndyS »

denniskeating wrote:Sean,
I have been debating plumbing in my Brewtus. I would probably upgrade to a rotary pump w/motor at the same time. The over pressure relief valve would still be required in the system, correct?
Not Sean, but the typical rotary pump setup would include (1) a pressure regulating valve to bring the city mains inlet pressure down to about 1 or 2 bar, (2) the pump's own internal bypass valve to regulate brew pressure at around 8-9 bar, and (3) an overpressure relief valve set around 12+ bar to protect the boiler from high pressure due to thermal expansion.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

lennoncs (original poster)

#5: Post by lennoncs (original poster) »

apologies Folks,

I have been off the planet for a while and didn't have an opportunity to respond to questions.

my typical mode is to go off the deep end with regards to reliability/performance and using Swagelok components is a big weakness of mine, I have many years of good experiences with their hardware and have never had a failure of a tube fitting.

the valve shown is ~$130.00

I consider that cost to be very cheap insurance for a hardwood floor that will be trashed if it gets a soaking from a faulty fitting or valve while we are away from home.

Andy answered the question from denniskeating quite nicely.

I adjust my systems by using an instrumented PF that has an accurate gauge and a metering valve to allow adjustment of the flow rate to match my shot flow. the vibe pump that first came with my brewtus could barely maintain 9bar at normal shot flow rate.

I now use a different type of pump now and calibrate in a completely different manner.

Sean

AndyS

#6: Post by AndyS »

lennoncs wrote:I now use a different type of pump now and calibrate in a completely different manner.
What is not said is far more intriguing than what is.... :-)
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

lennoncs (original poster)

#7: Post by lennoncs (original poster) replying to AndyS »

You have 1/3 of that system in your posession now. :wink:

denniskeating

#8: Post by denniskeating »

Thanks, Andy and Sean,
Yes, I was quoted $135.00 for that relief valve. I trust your confidence in the product, though.

What would be a good pump and motor for my Brewtus? I can externally mount it.
Thanks, Dennis

AndyS

#9: Post by AndyS replying to denniskeating »

-AndyS

malachi

#10: Post by malachi »

What's in the cup is what matters.