Fitting snapped and stuck in boiler

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
PhilthyCoffee

#1: Post by PhilthyCoffee »

I noticed some corrosion and a slight pressure leak at the water level sensor probe. I went to remove the fitting to install a fresh Teflon insert I had, one tiny turn of the wrench and off she went. My first thought was "well that's odd, it was only hand tight" but then I realized what had happened. Seems like maybe the slow leak of moisture caused the fitting to corrode and weaken. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the busted threads out? Thanks in advance.

Here's another pic

PhilthyCoffee (original poster)

#2: Post by PhilthyCoffee (original poster) »

Would something like this work, or should I look elsewhere or use another method?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

Do you own an aceteylene or mapp gas torch? If so heat the broken fitting (not the boiler flange) until it turns red & let it cool. At that point you might be able to unscrew it using a large flat blade screwdriver jammed into the center hole. Those easy outs will also work.
LMWDP 267

#4: Post by PhilthyCoffee (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

I've got a TS8000 with a Coleman propane tank. Will that do the trick without me having to spring for a different can, and if I go the nipple extractor route, and particular penetrating oil you'd recommend?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. replying to PhilthyCoffee »

If it gets it good & hot it will work. Try to avoid penetrating oil as you don't want anything contaminating the boiler.
LMWDP 267

#6: Post by PhilthyCoffee (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Thanks John, I'll give this a whirl. I'll try using an angled file as my flathead, since I've got several sizes and it's got that abrasive surface to provide some bite.

I was trying to avoid that oil as well.

DeuxInfuso

#7: Post by DeuxInfuso »

Good luck extracting that. When you reassemble, use food grade silicone grease on the threads. Ditto all brass on brass or steel on brass threads (everywhere on machine). Brass is soft and easily galls. You may never break another fitting...

Milligan

#8: Post by Milligan »

Be careful with the metal shavings too. A few of those in your boiler and then valves would cause a mess I'm sure. Heating it is a good method. You can also tap on it. A few good hits sometimes loosens up corroded bolts. You can try the extractors but you'll need to do a few Hail Marys and makes sure you are current on your penance. I've hardly ever had them work on corroded bolts. Unfortunately I usually have to drill and tap a new hole any time something like that happens. I'd throw the tool box at it before doing that there because you'd probably need to go up a size of thread to drill and tap (plus the larger good drills and taps can get pricey.). There are a few other ways to fix normal broken fitting issues but I wont recommend those due to this being a pressure vessel.

#9: Post by PhilthyCoffee (original poster) »

It's a pain for sure. I do have access to a tap set (I think) that I can borrow, and will assume I have to solder in a new fitting insert and all that stuff. Will likely be a little while until I get around to it, will have to replace HVAC cables and find out why little cheap plastic gears stripped in my car first. The espresso machine was this morning's issue, followed by the HVAC controls later in the day. Hey, could always be worst. God is still good.

#10: Post by PhilthyCoffee (original poster) »

DeuxInfuso wrote:Good luck extracting that. When you reassemble, use food grade silicone grease on the threads. Ditto all brass on brass or steel on brass threads (everywhere on machine). Brass is soft and easily galls. You may never break another fitting...
Didn't think of that, thanks so much that's a great tip!