Favourite espresso machine repair tools - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

BodieZoffa wrote:Must be some TINY space in that case...
Not at all. With both side covers & the top cover off it's wide open with easy access to all fittings. The 2020-on models were redesigned inside & have even more free space between fittings then the older ones like mine.
LMWDP 267

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Sw1ssdude wrote:

One side is for metric, the other is imperial. Sixty percent of the time, it helps all the time.
One side is left-handed, the other side is right-handed - or - if you were taught a long time ago to always pull in the direction of the sliding jaw, one side is for tightening and the other side is for loosening 8).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Jeff
Team HB

#13: Post by Jeff »

Knipex plier-wrenches, with or without the soft jaws, are expensive, but a joy to work with.

Well-fitting screwdrivers, such as PBSwiss, Wiha, or Wera (PBSwiss are, unfortunately, even more expensive than Wiha and Wera).

For cramped spaces a ratcheting 1/4 bit driver. I happen to have a Felo, there are several brands out there. The "ultimate" for close quarters is the Engineer DR-54 (https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/fu ... eer/dr-54/ or various eBay sellers)

From TME.eu:

I also picked up KNP.8111250 which looks like it will come in handy for something. (Like stubborn piston-mounting caps in a VAM.)

From TME.eu

IamOiman
Team HB

#14: Post by IamOiman »

I got some bitties I can recommend not counting the stuff already mentioned (the Knipex especially)

My little magnetic tumbler. I use it on every project, and it will clean up just about anything that is non ferrous (although I have cleaned up a few small pieces), and it will keep the plating in the process. My Vevor KT185 will not clean off stubborn gasket material but besides that I am very pleased with it. I use pins and cleaning powder from Guntap.

I like to use the tumbler and my sonic cleaner together (The Vevor I currently have is the one on the right. The left one is the Harbor Freight cleaner I broke before purchasing the Vevor). The latter preps the pieces for the former. I have a 6 liter size, and it fits most pieces I clean it with, although perhaps in the future I will also get a bigger and smaller size too.

My bearing separator from Harbor Freight was a good purchase to remove bearings from lever forks. It is also one of my first specialty tools I bought

For pistons with pin holes on the face I use an OTC 6613 pin spanner wrench, normally used on car brakes I believe.

Electrical wiring I have a Doyle wire clippers, a now no longer available ratcheting crimping tool, and a Klein Tools wire stripper. The 14AWG TGGT wiring itself is high temp, as are the AMP PIDG terminal connectors I use. For toggle switches I use the NKK brand, also highly recommended.

When I need pipes made I use Cupalloys 2mm diameter low temp silver solder and a MAP Pro torch. The fittings I purchase from a Nuova Ricambi distributor, and they are really good for making sure I am getting the right fitting size for the pipe and thread. I use a Rigid pipe cutter and a random chamfer/deburr tool for cutting and cleaning the copper pipe. I use a no-name pipe bender and it works fine for soft metals.

In terms of cool factor I think my factory Gaggia Espanola 80mm spanner wrench is up there. I wonder who used it last before me 8)

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

BaristaBoy E61

#15: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

An amazing and wonderfully informative post Ryan.
Thanks for sharing so much of what you do.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

chipman

#16: Post by chipman »

Giampiero wrote:This one it fix everything :lol: image
A roll of duct tape, vice grips, this. What more would you need?

mikel

#17: Post by mikel »

I agree with others- there's life before knipex pliers, and life after.

Ypuh

#18: Post by Ypuh »

Indeed a cool post Ryan.

I'm familiar with what a sonic cleaner does (have been on the fence purchasing one for a while now to clean chains, cassettes and other greasy items), but what is the difference with a magnetic tumbler? Haven't heard of that before, but those shiny parts make me curious.
I don't want a Decent

IamOiman
Team HB

#19: Post by IamOiman »

The tumbler spins little pins that clean the surfaces of the dirty parts you want to work on. Water and cleaning detergent are added for enhanced cleaning
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

mikel

#20: Post by mikel »

Can't forget Evaporust, for older machine repair.