Failing OPV or Something Else?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
goalerjones

#1: Post by goalerjones »

Quickmill Vetrano 2B Evo.

About a month ago, my Vetrano 2b started having a new noise. Here is a video with the back and sides removed to observe operations once I noticed a "hissing" sound coming from the internals.
It looks like water making its way into the tubing connected to part # C111P the OPV.

Here is the question:
Is it just the seal failing and can I replace the internal seal? Or do I need to replace the whole piece?

Or is there another possible issue to look for?

No temp fluctuations, no leaks anywhere else that I have seen (no puddles in the bottom of the machine). And the machine cycles more now to refill than before.

I seem to have isolated it to the use of the steam boiler, since turning that off and allowing the brew boiler to remain on makes the sound go away.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Your video link didn't work for me. Are you sure it isn't the vacuum valve hissing?
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
goalerjones (original poster)

#3: Post by goalerjones (original poster) »

sorry the link doesn't work, the sound is more of a percolating sounds TBH, but it is new over the last month or so. It's causing the steam boiler to cycle more often than usual so I believe it's not just a normal event. Also since it goes away once I turn off the steam boiler it seems they are linked.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Based on that verbal description, it sounds like the vacuum breaker. It's supposed to open the boiler to room pressure when cool, but seal up as the boiler starts to boil. They often gurgle or rattle just as they're sealing up. A leaky one would slowly vent steam into the unit, sometimes down a tube, sometimes without.

JRising
Team HB

#5: Post by JRising »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the skinny side of that dual valve should be the vacuum breaker valve. The larger diameter is the safety valve (That one might refer to as an OPV). And the fact that there's liquid water visible in the hose makes me think that your boiler is over-filling in addition to the possible leakage over the vacuum breaker valve. So check your boiler-fill probe, see if it might be the cause of a boiler-over-fill issue.
Yes, you can replace the o-ring in that valve, and clean the teflon disk. Once the valve body is out of the machine work over a tea-towel when unscrewing that valve so that the spring can't roll far when it escapes, you'll see what I mean. I suggest NOT taking apart the safety valve side of it if you have no reason to.

goalerjones (original poster)

#6: Post by goalerjones (original poster) »

So to further this along, Mater C111P - Vacuum Breaker/Safety Valve is my need. I've ordered it from Clive Coffee, thanks Samuel Osborne for your very fast replies this morning. We tried descaling but the leak returned after just a few days. Sam also included a walk-thru to help me in the replacement process.

tburres

#7: Post by tburres »

I am getting ready to replace this part for the third time. I will try to take the old one apart, clean it up and keep it as a spare, but it seems there is an underlying problem. I use only Crystal Geyser water in my machine and have never had any problems on the brew side but this part fails/leaks within months of replacement. I have been leaving steam off unless I am actually making a drink to limit the leaking.

Advertisement
sjacobonhb

#8: Post by sjacobonhb »

my evo 2B also recently began hissing on initial startup only when steam boiler is turned on.
Sounds like this post problem too
Any advice on cleaning and changing the oring on the breaker?

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to sjacobonhb »

Follow the advice of JRising!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"